Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sticks

sticks

is it just me that cant get to grips with sticks ok only homemade,but i tried i went out today mainly to zero my new scope on the 223 new rings and bases ,ok cheap ammo ppu zeroed no worrys ,at 25 then out to 100 ok,five shots prone at 100 within an inch,kneeling /sitting at 70 same i thought **** hot sherlock within an inch 1/4 freehand and it was blowing 10 /15mph right to left ,so feeling pleased with myself by now i thought last one piece of piss 40yds with sticks ,yes you guessed it crap all within about 21/2 to 3 inches, note to self get more practise with sticks or suggestions on postcard please ,atb doug, ps after this put it away and shot eight bunnies freehand longest measured 136yds with 22lr,
    DONT START

Only thing I can think of (i found out the hard way!) is you are not resting the barrel instead of the stock on the stick's rest are you?

no mate i made sure only thing i can think of is the twist of the sticks, if you understand me with the rubber pulling back inwards,Attachment 44179Attachment 44180
    DONT START

Feet positioned front and back
    find something to lean back into
    use a string to turn it into a tripod

all things that help
    oh.... And lots of practice on those bunnies

Do you have a 'free-floating' barrel? Mount the rifle on the sticks and run a bank note between the barrel and the stock fore-end to ensure there is still a gap. Sometimes the sticks can make the barrel touch!
    MS

i dont need the practise on bunnies bewsher i can shoot them things in my sleep,im just not sure on the sticks ive tried in the past on bunnies and give up on them i get better results freehand litterally, prone ok kneeling with arthritis ok on gun vice ok sticks crap,i dont know what it is, ive done the feet string stood on monopod bipod still crap, ps cant lean on anything completly flat field ideal as it as a sand bank about thirty feet high at the end of it ,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 05-07-2014 at 22:46.
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Do you have a 'free-floating' barrel? Mount the rifle on the sticks and run a bank note between the barrel and the stock fore-end to ensure th ere is still a gap. Sometimes the sticks can make the barrel touch!
    MS
    it is and like i say prone ok kneeling witch i thought i would have a problem with ok this is 100yds prone ok 70yds kneeling ok then 40yds on sticks rubbish , i will say this i would much rather shoot freehand at any reasonable distance simply because its how i allways shoot when after fox/bunnies,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 05-07-2014 at 22:16.
    DONT START

Does the reticle look as steady when on sticks???

Attachment 44181Attachment 44182Attachment 44183yes everything looks and feels ok unless its me! as you see the sticks are crap, one bull the other three two inches away these circles are 1 inch, privvi ammo time in between shots etc,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 05-07-2014 at 23:00. Reason: put pics on
    DONT START

Reckon that's your answer An Du Ru, need to practice more (on your sticks)
    funny thing that I'm exactly the same with bipods can't come to grips with
    the bloody things... hence I'd rather use the rolled up roe sack or rifle slip.

Atb, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"