Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed posting a Bowie knife by Royal Mail

Advice needed posting a Bowie knife by Royal Mail

Any advice regarding posting a Bowie knife by Royal Mail to a uk address its all sheathed and bubble wrapped mega thick and boxed so no danger to anyone or staff

will lk i get any problems ?

Regards Mark

check there rm site for any rules mark atb doug,
    DONT START

my wife recived a set of kichen knives by post last week ,a knife is a knife nohing to stop you using a bowie in the kitchen ,some of the geese i shot last year a bowie would hardly be up to the job

I've posted several hunting type/size knives via royal mail, they have a poster of a large tactical knife with a red cross over it showing it cannot be posted. I quested the post master and was told PROVIDEING it is securely packed so that no one could be cut/injured if the parcel became undone/opened it would be o.k. to post them. I received many ground blades from Jantz in the states with a blade protector on the blade with no issues, also from Brusoletto as well. Pack them in a blade protector of sorts/sheath possibly, then bubble wrapped into another box then ditto into final packaging. Declare well and safely packed to your local depot. deerwarden

I have posted a number of knives via royal mail, never had any issues. Just ensure its safely packaged.

Over the years I have posted many knives with no problem, but that has all changed.
    The last few have been a nightmare, according to RM it is a weapon and cannot be posted.
    The last one I sent (last monday) I ended up wrapping twice as 1st post office wanted to see it.
    I ended up at a different post office with the knife packed in a large box, when asked what
    it was I said "camping equipment", just have to hope they don't open it.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Over the years I have posted many knives with no problem, but that has all changed.
    The last few have been a nightmare, according to RM it is a weapon and cannot be posted.
    The last one I sent (last monday) I ended up wrapping twice as 1st post office wanted to see it.
    I ended up at a different post office with the knife packed in a large box, when asked what
    it was I said "camping equipment", just have to hope they don't open it.

Neil.
    I think this is the key. There is all sorts of reloading bits that are fine to post but if you started describing what they were when asked what was in the parcel you would only be asking for trouble. My default reply at my local post office is 'contains nothing on your prohibited list'. Big hunting knives might be a little different but if all above board as far as you can see then just label as kitchen equipment if you have to say anything at all.

The usual SD b******s ranging from misrepresenting the nature of the consignment (otherwise telling lies) to verboten absolutely by Royal Mail.

There are restrictions on international deliveries but domestic post isn't so difficult. Guidance from Royal Mail website available to everyone (my highlighting).

Sharp objects
    Sharp objects like knives, kitchen utensils and gardening tools may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they are no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients.
    Wrap heavy cardboard around sharp edges and points, strong enough to ensure that the contents do not pierce the outer packaging. Wrap each item with cushioning material. Place in a suitable outer container such as a padded envelope. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

What you do have to be careful of is obtaining some assurance of the age of the recipient - under the Violent Crime Reduction Bill 2005.

Knives can't be sold to under 18's so you may need proof of age before sending them off by post to a stranger, given that your address is on the parcel.

I did point this out to Admin to include in a sticky as advice to the 'bespoke field cutlery' merchants on here. Maybe this is in hand.
    Last edited by Sinistral; 06-07-2014 at 12:18.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

So we've confirmed its all above board (having verified the age of the recipient). I would still be conservative with the truth and be using my usual line if asked. It would save trouble as I'm sure some post office staff would think they know better. Some would enjoy the controversy and debate at the post office I have no doubt.

Send each knife with a free toy, declare the toy, stuffed teddy bear should do

Neil.