22-250

User00004

I'm hoping to pick up my 22-250 at the weekend :D , but probably mid week :cry: as time, money, moving home etc all happening at the same time :eek: something needs to give.

Anyway, I'll be reloading for it, not initially but will, once everything settles down. I was using H380 for my .243 and was happy with the results. I have read up that this seems to be a very good powder to use in a 22-250 so I intend to do just that.

The rifle is a Browning A Bolt in Stainless.

Any reloaders out there who load for this rifle in that caliber? Views appreciated.

TJ

H380 is a very good powder in .22.250 it's the only powder i have used for several 22.250s i have owned.The sweet spot seems to be around 38-39.5 grains topped of with a 52gr a max head.It's a great round you will love it,Everything from long range rabbits to roe it does it all.
ATB SEAN

Not your caliber I know but I use H380 in my A Bolt 7-08. I struggled to get less than 2" groups with any load until I tried some magnum primers the other day and they shrank to 1", could be coincidence but I've heard somewhere that H380 needs magnum primers to burn better.

Hi TJ,

You should find H380 perfect for your 22-250 as it was developed (I believe) specifically for this calibre using 38 grns!

I use H380 in my 22-250 with excellent results for both 40grn Nosler BTips (one hole groups) and Sierra 55grn gamekings. I have also had very good results using it with with my 243.

Nice easy powder to work with too!

ATB

Tom

+1 for H380

As stated, it was developed specifically for the 22-250

50gn SP and 38gn H380 is a good starting point and you will have the perfect load (for your rifle) in a very short time

IMX the most important thing with a 22-250 is getting the OAL right for your rifle/bullet combination. Buying, or borrowing, a Hornady (Stoney Point) OAL gauge saves many hours experimenting.

stu,

a mate has R93 in 22-250.

55gn b tip - 41gn h380 gives 1 hole @ 100 and sub 1" @300 yards.

3600 fps out of a 23 3/4 barrell.

i think i need this calibre in my collection 8)

Gary

....just to add to some of the previous comments on 22-250 reloading -

The OAL seems to be critical with 22-250 so don't give up if you have less than good results at 5 / 10 / 20 / 50 thou off as my Ruger VT shoots best at -135 and another I know of is best at over 220 thou off :eek:

Also a lot of older reloading manuals show max (around) 39gr for H380 but I know a few people have loaded up to 42gr without pressure signs. As ever, start low & work up.

I use Sierra 1360 55gr with 38gr H380 and CCI standard (not magnum) primers and get one hole groups. All cases trimmed to 1.90

One final thought - give Prvi Partizans a try as some rifles shoot them really well (and some don't!). These will be as cheap as reloading - and if they don't work wll then PP brass is excellent for reloading (rumoured to be made by Lapua).

Good luck.

a mate of mine had 22/250 he use to use h380 and 52 grain amax and said it was superb.

ive yet to try it as im using varget at the moment and get good groups with this. pushing 50grain vmax.

as for the col i found my rifle shoots best with bullet sat deep in the case so there is a jump.

Had good results with varget or N140. Found that in my rifle the 52gr Nosler BTHP custom match preformed really well. Seemed more reliable accuracy wise than 52gr a-max and very reliable expansion. Less explosive than a-max.

edi

Good or Bad? Well, due to an error in the ordering there was a Blue/Wood A Bolt for collection, I declined the offer.....I ended up with another Tikka T3 Lite in Stainless/Synthetic in 22-250, I do like the Tikka, but was a bit more than I had wanted to spend, but it's done now, saved me getting a suitable mount for the PM 2 to be fitted as the Aples and Optilocks do just fine.

So, load development for the Tikka once I have shot the 40 fectory Fed's that I bought.

TJ

Good or Bad? Well, due to an error in the ordering there was a Blue/Wood A Bolt for collection, I declined the offer.....I ended up with another Tikka T3 Lite in Stainless/Synthetic in 22-250, I do like the Tikka, but was a bit more than I had wanted to spend, but it's done now, saved me getting a suitable mount for the PM 2 to be fitted as the Aples and Optilocks do just fine.

So, load development for the Tikka once I have shot the 40 fectory Fed's that I bought.

TJ

nice one mate see how thos factory rounds shoot and if they shoot well it could be worth making up some reloads wit the same col as the factory ammo

Not managed to get a round through either rifle yet, hoping to Zero next Saturday or Sunday, see how it goes from there.

TJ

how you getting on with it. have you started your reloading

Not started yet, still got a hand full of Federals to go yet. Probably do it over the winter as the 22-250 will be redundant over that period and the .270 will be in use.

TJ

My tikka T3 lite wouldnt group my previous .22/250 load of 55gr Vmax/36grs Varget that i used in my old Krico

Tried some 50gr Honady soft point,36grs Varget seated at factory spec, never looked back....

Nell

T.J, I used to use 40gr Federal in my Heym 22-250,rifle was built for them and barrel is 2 in longer than usual and it shoots them perfectly, 1 hole groups.
Tried them in a mates Tikka 22-250 and he was struggling to get 3in groups:eek:
We put it down to that extra couple of inches:)

It's factory 55gr Feds I have, it groups perfect with them, when I reload, I'll be using my H380 and Sierra Gameking 55gr's and seated at factory spec to see what happens.

John, I'd imagine 40gr bullets are rapid.....Ideal for fox and other vermin but I'd be using the .22 on Roe so wouldn't load down that low. I wouldn't want several loads for the same rifle unless it was one extreme to the other, 110gr upto 180gr for a .308 for instance as an example.

Cheers

TJ

They were certainly rapid,yet had very very few exit.
I use 55gr Federals now as no need for the 40grs as no foxes here:cry:.The habitat here would suit a few foxes though.;)

Hiya
I was shooting hares on the strips yesterday got 8 on the bounce using 34.5gns of blc2 and 50 gn Vmaxes 20 thous off the lands.A mild load,but like a deathray.I've got varget,reloder 15,H414 and H4895 to try.
MARK

Hi all, I am new to reloading and ordered some Varget but due to a 2 month delay decided to try the Hodgdon Benchmark powder. I had read on some US threads that it was good. So far Im getting some good results with Sierra 55g spitzers. Anyone else tried it?

Back