DSC 1: 9/10 August Moray Stalking School

mauser1905

Ok, now I have taken a step further and paid deposit for the 9/10th August DSC 1 course with Moray Stalking School.

One of the club members has spoken good words about Andy and John at school.

Now just hope to get my time for studies etc amongst n number of other things flying around.

If anybody doing the course same time, let us get in touch and compare notes, if you wish too.

Regards
Sid.

Last edited:
Sid/Jim

Thank you for posting guys.

The fact that we know exactly where Jim lives, should not in anyway influence his full and honest report of how utterly fantastic this coming weekend is going to be... ;)

Ahem.

Of course I'll be delighted to do so.

Seriously - The course manual has been first class, and SNH best practice guides well worth 15 squid. For me, the two worked well with the online tests.

Or at least I think they've worked well - I guess we'll see at the weekend!

Well that's the DSC1 done then!
Fingers crossed, but looks like a good result.
StalkingSchool/ Moray Outfitting in Aberlour were first class - as a complete novice, everything from the pre-course prep and materials, support during revision, then coaching and facilities for the practicals and tests were well above my expectations. I'm new to stalking, but been involved in competence based training for industry for the last 25 years, and these guys were outstanding.
John/ Andy, I feel like my objective of a solid grounding to start my stalking career off with has been more than achieved. Really appreciate all your help.
If anyone is considering DSC1, you won't go far wrong with these guys.
And as the big Austrian said 'I'll be back....'
Cheers
Jim

Jim

Per other thread - comments much appreciated; especially as I'd forgotten to give you the envelope full of cash and with the pre scripted post in it...

Ultimately, we just 'polish' all the effort that goes in ahead of the course - and it was obvious you had put the hours in. Very glad you enjoyed it.

As discussed, whether coming back to us for anything or not, the course doesn't stop at the weekend - if we can help with anything just shout.

Ok thats me done with DSC1. Hopefully all goes well and cert gets posted.
The training was first class. You never stop learning and especially about being safe shot and more you learn about your quarry more respect I generate for it. I vouch what Jim has said good things about Stalking School/Moray Outfitting based on my personal experience.
I must now get more prepared for the midgies.
Thanks to John and Andy for their help and support during training and course. Online question bank was really useful.
Glad to have been to Stalking School for DSC1.
Regards
Sid.

hey guys,glad I came across this thread.

I am wanting to book for my dsc1 and 2 with Moray.

Im an absolute beginner,this is my second season as pony ghillie and I got my first beast last year and Iv got to say it made me realise what I wanted to do with myself.

What are you guys going for ,first riflewise and do you need to have your firearms before you do yur courses?

What do you guys do for a living?

BigTom

hey guys,glad I came across this thread.

I am wanting to book for my dsc1 and 2 with Moray.

Im an absolute beginner,this is my second season as pony ghillie and I got my first beast last year and Iv got to say it made me realise what I wanted to do with myself.

What are you guys going for ,first riflewise and do you need to have your firearms before you do yur courses?

What do you guys do for a living?

BigTom

I did mine last Sunday after waiting forever for Richard Macnicol in Thurso to get back to me , it was a good time there and enjoyed it and was made very welcome Andy and John were most helpful , even popped in to see John today to get one of the Zaim slings and planning on getting another one ::)

Sunday! haha mental, people getting to do things on a sunday,not being allowed to hang the washing out on a sunday was in my first lease when we moved up here ,.... Nice1, I see everyone recommends Moray.

I am hoping for november/december for mine.Maybe 4 day course methinks.

Cheers,Tom.

Hello bigtom,
In regards to Moray Outfitting. You will be well looked after. You make a right choice.
Riflewise I own and have sorted.
For doing DSC1 one doesnt need to have rifle or FAC. If you are 17 and above you can hire estate rifle for the course. I also used course rifle as I didnt have my rifles zero completed by course date.
I completed my DSC1 course also on 9th and 10th.
Good luck.

cheers,Mauser

did you need insurance to go on the course?

I got a great response when contacted Moray,lots of gud clear info.

Just need to book now!

Cheers,Tom

Yes insurance required. You have multiple options. However I went with BASC membership which gives insurance as well. However there are alternate options, shoukd you wish to contemplate. But you can sort insurance nearer to course. You require insurance when on course, and not while booking the course.
Hope that helps.

Hi Tom, another thumbs up from me for Moray. Andy and John will look after you well.
I don't have FAC yet so used estate rifle, big plus for that is that you can rely on it being zeroed. I had not shot off sticks before, but Andy managed to coach me through that. Very patient and helpful.
You will need insurance. I went for SGA as it's an organisation I personally favour, and (probably spent too long in Aberdeen) they are a bit cheaper than others!
Main tip from me is to take at least a month before you plan to attend the course to do some study. The manual they provide is excellent, and if you have access to the Internet there is a great series of online questions that they will also give you access to - photographs for deer recognition, questions for hygiene, general etc. you can get these wrong in the safety of your own place and it's a great aid to preparing to get them right at the course.
Dont stress too much, just put the hours in before hand on the bookwork and you'll be fine.
All the best,
Jim

cheers ,mauser and jock

shooting off sticks-do you meen walking stick or bipod?

iv seen a short wee stick pressed into the ground but mostly just sum1s jacket or gunslip folded over

keen on Moray maybe Il get an extra day to go stalking if the wife lets me!

Tom

shooting off sticks-do you meen walking stick or bipod?

The shot had to be taken standing. You can use, one, two, three or 4 legs. Whatever you are used to.

The picture below is of the tripod sticks (they will even sell you the kit to make your own):

Stick_Kits.jpg_6.jpg

(most providers will lend you a set, I used my own as was familiar with them)

Righto ,never seen them used,are they for area where you have lots of cover,forest,tall reeds or in a hide?

Cheers for the post,

Back