Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: scopeing a double rifle

scopeing a double rifle

I am about to fit either a aimpoint type sight or a 1.5-4 x 20 Vrx scope on to my Beretta 689 9.3mm x74

When setting the zero up for the scope should I go for the middle of the two shot group or zero off the bottom barrel which fires first.
    The rifle shoots point of aim of the bottom barrel and about 2-4" higher and 3" to the right with the top barrel at 70 yards with open sights.

Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

It sounds like you don't yet have the load that the rifle was regulated for Bob. I get a similar result with my O/U rifle with many loads but if I can get the correct load two rounds from each barrel will fit inside a 40mm circle at 50 metres.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

As 8 x 57 says.

But if you have to work with what you've got, I'd split the difference and zero so the first shot strikes 2" low and and 1.5" left of the point-of-aim. I don't know how precisely you can place a shot standing, unsupported, at a moving target -which I imagine will be the circumstances in which you plan to use this rifle -, but assuming your sights are always on the centre of the kill zone, with a mid-point zero either barrel should do the job!
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Hi 8x57
    I am just shooting home loads 285gr cast boolit gaschecks behind 19rs of trail boss for practice at the moment .I have room in the cases for another 2grs of tb which may help close the grouping a bit in time? .
    I am saving the 285 gr RWS factory ammo for the moment rather than shooting paper with them my rifle is supposed to be regulated @ 80 meters with this ammo with 4 shots in around 4" so I am reliably informed.
    I just have not had time to play on a outdoor range as yet with full power loads other than a few to have a bit of fun with.
    Bob

If that's the case then Bob I would agree totally with Mr Gain and split the difference. Building a load that will match the regulated load is difficult enough without trying to do so with a cast bullet, I've been trying to do so for some time now with my 8mm O/U without any great success. If I manage to get acceptable results for a practise load with my cast bullets I find that the recoil is insufficient to reset the inertia trigger.
    Welcome to the infuriating world of double rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    I am about to fit either a aimpoint type sight or a 1.5-4 x 20 Vrx scope on to my Beretta 689 9.3mm x74

When setting the zero up for the scope should I go for the middle of the two shot group or zero off the bottom barrel which fires first.
    The rifle shoots point of aim of the bottom barrel and about 2-4" higher and 3" to the right with the top barrel at 70 yards with open sights.

Bob
    Bob - FFS man up! You know iron sights are the only way to go - btw thanks again for my present mate - Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by VIGILAIRE View Post
    Bob - FFS man up! You know iron sights are the only way to go - btw thanks again for my present mate - Chris.
    I thought you might pop up for this one chris
    Just playing with my new toy & wanting to try it with a red dot to see if it makes much of
    a difference? to my shooting

Bob

Come down for a weekend and we'll have a 9.3 blastathon! Need a word anyway, will ring you tomoz.

Sight it in for the first barrel - first round is the one that counts in 99% of situations. That's why you have a scope to make sure the first round goes where it is meant to.

Doesn't that depend on how you are going to use the rifle Heym? The system that I have adopted is If I am going to use my O/U for stalking (normally up to 100 yds in woodland) I have my top barrel which is closest to the scope zeroed to shoot spot on at 100 yds with light bullets. I know that I can use the bottom barrel with acceptable accurasy also at up to 50 metres but wouldn't shoot it any further than that because of divergence.
    On the other hand if I were on driven boar I use a much heavier load for which the rifle is regulated and select bottom barrel first. I know that with this load four rounds, two from each barrel will shoot to point of aim at 50 M and will all fit in a 40mm circle.

At the moment I think Reiver is simply trying to set up his rifle to shoot practise loads using cast bullets so probably a compromise would be best for him. I found that fitting a scope certainly makes it easier to adjust sights when messing around with different loads but like Vigilaire I like to use the open sights.