Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: conditions of issue for boar rifle.

conditions of issue for boar rifle.

Hi,
    Just need to know about a few points on conditions for the issue of a boar on ticket and suitable calibre, FEO is happy to issue the calibre (45-70) requested but condition is for use outside the uk? except for zeroing on suitable ranges? I do know we don't have any Boar in Thames valley, but there are boar in the UK as close as the forest of dean and in dorset? and why if I have an open ticket and a euro' Firearms passport what other hoops are there to jump throo? he mentioned I needed to have proof of either permissions or shooting having been booked? but how may I book them without having a suitable rifle/calibre in the 1st place?
    any imput would be grately received Thanks

Do you have land with red/sika/fallow on ? That should be plenty good reason for the 45/70 (the only 'government' that you can rely on)
    Where are you ?
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Tell Thames to follow the HO guidance and issue aolq and stop f3king you about.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I have both my .444 marlin and my 9.3mm x74r conditioned for deer along with fox,pest and vermin hear in Cumbria
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Tell Thames to follow the HO guidance and issue aolq and stop f3king you about.
    Succinct, to the point and........................................... correct.

Steviebee, suggest you bone up on the relevant sections on the HO Guide and either get the 45-70 with the 'good reason' of deer, (and have AOLQ which includes boar), or read through the posts on here relating to 'dangerous game' calibres and use in the UK. Hint: The first route is the less painful one.

why not just have any legal quarry on your fc then im assuming you can use any rifle in your posession thats of relevant calibre.different constabularies have been known to ask for different requirments ,one being minimun .270 whilst last time i heard i think it was devon would allow .243. dont know if anythings changed since but food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    Hi,
    Just need to know about a few points on conditions for the issue of a boar on ticket and suitable calibre, FEO is happy to issue the calibre (45-70) requested but condition is for use outside the uk? except for zeroing on suitable ranges? I do know we don't have any Boar in Thames valley, but there are boar in the UK as close as the forest of dean and in dorset? and why if I have an open ticket and a euro' Firearms passport what other hoops are there to jump throo? he mentioned I needed to have proof of either permissions or shooting having been booked? but how may I book them without having a suitable rifle/calibre in the 1st place?
    My FAC doesn't have AOLQ but was issued some years ago. If it should appear on the next Renewal I'm not sure that it'll give me some new found freedom. It might even narrow my options and reduce my 'good reason', as my deer calibres (.243 up E.& W. rules) are deer only, and my sub .243 cals. are currently justified on 'smaller' quarry.

If use of the deer rifles is permitted at Renewal for the smaller quarry by AOLQ, then there's some duplication and redundancy in my having a .22CF. AOLQ can be a mixed blessing sometimes........

This is the revised HOG circa 2013. It does mention specific permission in the 1st sentence, and elsewhere in the Guidance the likelihood of the quarry being present on the ground ..........

13.9A certificate holder may shoot any quarry that is lawful (where they areauthorised to shoot). Whilst guidance is provided, it is the responsibility ofthe shooter and the shooting community to know what calibre is suitable forwhich quarry, and when certain quarry is lawful (including the need to obtainor rely upon a licence from the relevant licensing authority to permit theshooting of protected species). Once initial “good reason” has been establishedfor the possession of a firearm, there is no requirement for “good reason” tobe demonstrated for additional quarry species or amendments providing thefirearms are not underpowered for the species (see also paragraph 13.17). Acartridge should be capable of achieving a humane kill, and it is theresponsibility of the shooter to ensure that any excess energy will be absorbedby the backstop. The “any other lawful quarry” condition (which also covers protectedspecies that the certificate holder is licensed to shoot) should be applied. Ifan applicant is suitable to hold a firearm certificate and is deemed safe to doso, there is no requirement to restrict the quarry they shoot by the use ofconditions.

Aperson wishing to shoot over land should nominate in their application aspecific area of land over which they intend to or have permission to shoot(this does not restrict their ability to shoot elsewhere where permission isalso given), and provide written authority, where possible, from the personentitled to grant the shooting rights. The land may then be examined andapproved by the police (if it is not already known to be suitable) in order tohelp to establish that the “good reason” requirement has been fully met, andthat the use of firearms and ammunition will not endanger public safety or thepeace (section 27(1)(c) of the 1968 Act).
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    Hi,
    TVP will already use AOLQ from memory I was told they don't issue Boar as a seperate condition but it will be covered by AOLQ, just fill in the variation and send it in, its not the FEO who will make the final decision so you aren't stepping on his toes, if they insist on having stalking booked for Boar, I can think of at least one person who offers that service, and you would get the benefit of his experience so win/win
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

I asked for boar to be put on the conditions for one of my rifles I already have conditioned for deer but was told by thames valley I was covered by the AOLQ condition I have on all my rifles

Quote Originally Posted by mathieson View Post
    I asked for boar to be put on the conditions for one of my rifles I already have conditioned for deer but was told by thames valley I was covered by the AOLQ condition I have on all my rifles
    That's also my experience now that I've been blessed or cursed with AOLQ on my new FAC.

AOLQ seems to be upwards, or downwards compatible, which surprised me.

If you have a .22-250 for Fox and AOLQ then you may shoot Muntjac providing you have specific permission .... or it ain't lawful of course.

Similarly you can shoot Roe in Scotland with your .22-250 without needing the extra/special authorisation under the 'Deer (Firearms, etc) (Scotland) Order 1985. I hope this is the right interpretation because this Condition has now disappeared altogether from mine.

Facing both ways now, I assume that I can now shoot larger quarry such as Boar, and smaller quarry such as Fox, with my previous 'Deer' (only) rifles because they're now Conditioned as 'Deer and AOLQ'.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.