Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fridge Question

Fridge Question

Evening!!

I've bought a large drinks fridge (like the ones you see in a newsagents full of coke pepsi etc) to put my deer in to hang

Shot my first Roe on sunday, brought it home and put it in the fridge. opened the fridge today and the carcass was getting a bit ripe. Turns out the fridge only runs down to around 7deg

SO my question is, is this cold enough (I dont think it is), and what do you guys do for refridgeration?

Cheers

Oggy

I take it you have turned the thermostat knob thing right down? The one in my drinks fridge is top right when you look in under a removeable plate. The plate sticks out like a wee box and is very obvious

You really want too be below 4 Oggy, don't have one like that myself so can't advise about the the thermo, mind you 7 seems a tad kigh for a drinks chiller. And for those watching thats another post.

Quote Originally Posted by david1976
    I take it you have turned the thermostat knob thing right down? The one in my drinks fridge is top right when you look in under a removeable plate. The plate sticks out like a wee box and is very obvious
    To be honest, I didnt think it was cold enough, so I turned the thermo to max, as it was already set to min. didnt really make much differnce I dont think.

Got a fridge repair guy round yesterday, and he seems to think there nowt wrong with it, and 7deg will be roughly as low as they go.

Would a normal tall (not under counter) larder fridge be big enough to fit a Roe in?

Oggy

The one I have goes below 7' I have seen it down at 0' when i put a thermometer in. I had one before that broke and needed regassed that would not go below 8' but if your engineer has been out it cant be that i suppose

The one I have goes below 7' I have seen it down at 0' when i put a thermometer in. I had one before that broke and needed regassed that would not go below 8' but if your engineer has been out it cant be that i suppose
    Well to be fair, he only checked to see if the motor kicked in when he fettled with the thermostat.

Theres a good chance from what you just said, that I could do with getting it regassed

Og

There will be a thermostat somewhere on it. If it is set to its lowest then you might need to get it re-gassed which normally costs about 50. Just hope its not an older 'banned' gas if it is! Carcasses should be stored below 7 degrees but I try to keep mine slightly lower (between 2 - 4 degrees). Don't go too low or there is a danger they may freeze. You might also find that the exrtreme ambient outside temp is affecting it too. It could be that it is too cold for the compressor to kick in, but the recirculation fan keeps running and will actually warm it up slightly.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    There will be a thermostat somewhere on it. If it is set to its lowest then you might need to get it re-gassed which normally costs about 50. Just hope its not an older 'banned' gas if it is! Carcasses should be stored below 7 degrees but I try to keep mine slightly lower (between 2 - 4 degrees). Don't go too low or there is a danger they may freeze. You might also find that the exrtreme ambient outside temp is affecting it too. It could be that it is too cold for the compressor to kick in, but the recirculation fan keeps running and will actually warm it up slightly.
    MS
    Actually, the fridge bloke said my garage (where the fridge is) would be too cold for the motor to kick in.

Gonna be difficult to work out if its working properly then until the weather gets warmer (if it ever happens)

Og

Quote Originally Posted by oggy
    Well to be fair, he only checked to see if the motor kicked in when he fettled with the thermostat.

Theres a good chance from what you just said, that I could do with getting it regassed

Og
    The one I had that needed regassed the motor did came on as well it all worked fine except the chilling bit