Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FAC application

FAC application

Hello all the time has finally come to apply for my firearms. My shotgun certificate is up for renewal (which i have now had for 5 years) and i am wanting to apply for my firearms. Ive been deer stalking since i was 9 (i am now 19) and am confidant with my ability to handle firearms. i just wanted to ask a few questions and get some advice any help would be really appreciated.

i would like a 22lr, 17hmr, 243win and a 30-06.
    i currently have 2 permissions each with around 50 acres.
    i also have the opportunity to join a shoot in france hence the 30-06.
    i would like the 243win for deer stalking and fox control.

would i have any trouble with the above

if any one has any advice please share as ive been wanting my own rifles since i was 9 and trying to get this right first time.
    thanks charlie b

ps i know this subject might of been raised before but just wanted to make sure thanks.

All sounds reasonable to me, but will depend on who your feo is as to how smooth it goes I'm afraid.
    it will probably help your application if you are able to provide supporting evidence of your experience with firearms and deer stalking when you apply. Probably in the form of a letter outlining your experience and any references you are able to obtain from people who you have been out stalking with.

best of luck,
    mike

Don't know what your firearms dept is like, but looking on here lately I'd say you'd really be lucky to get them all. Try just one of the rim calibres and the 30-06 ( presume you'll shoot boar in France? ) and you might be lucky. Saying this speak to your FEO first, never know you might get them all! Good luck anyway

Thanks guys i am calling my FEO this afternoon I will tell you what he says. On a little side not if I only had 1 rim fire (22) and a 30-06 isn't that a big gap I will mainly be shooting rabbit, fox, muntjac and Chinese water deer. 30-06 for muntjac might be a little to big I defantly know that this has come up before on here but

i will ill also only be shooting in France in the winter. But the others all year round according to the seasons. Thanks again charlie b

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta cocker View Post
    Don't know what your firearms dept is like, but looking on here lately I'd say you'd really be lucky to get them all. Try just one of the rim calibres and the 30-06 ( presume you'll shoot boar in France? ) and you might be lucky. Saying this speak to your FEO first, never know you might get them all! Good luck anyway
    As I say even in the same county it can vary depending on who your feo is. My initial grant (in Essex was for .22lr, .243 and .308 all with moderators. I was granted them without a fuss, the cf rifles on the basis of paid stalks (at that time I had no ground to shoot over for deer).

Luck shouldn't come into it if you make a well prepared application and you can provide 'good reason' for possession of the firearms you want to acquire.

Suggest you read and understand the requirements of Chapter 13 "Good Reason To Possess A Firearm" of the latest Home Office Guide On Firearms Licensing Law. Enter all the firearms you want on your application with just the primary quarry species plus, "And Any Other Lawful Quarry" against them. If the FEO wants clarification i.e. for the .243, you can mention that fox would also be good reason to possess as well as deer but would be covered under AOLQ. Don't fall into the trap of just requesting the 30-06 for overseas use. It's a perfectly suitable cartridge/calibre for UK deer shooting and you might have issues getting it re-classified/conditioned during the next 5 years if you nominate it purely for use in France. No reason why it can't be used on the smaller deer species, (there's no such thing as 'overkill'), as it would do the job humanely, and that's what matters.

Research everything, (which presumably is why you're asking here), and be prepared to justify your requests from a position of strength. Attach an accompanying letter detailing experience etc. as suggested. Don't be fobbed off by an FEO trying to foist his/her ideas of what would be appropriate - it's your application and nothing you've mentioned in your OP is unreasonable, (provided you can provide 'good reason' of course. ). If you are certain about your choices and come up against an FEO who tries to get you to modify or change your application to suit their own agenda, politely request that it proceed unchanged - they are Firearms Enquiry Officers, decision making rest with the FLO and FLD manager. Don't stint yourself on ammo allowances either, 250-300 CF if you don't handload is a good starting point.

Remember, "Knowledge is Power". Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626
    Last edited by Orion; 08-07-2014 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Luck shouldn't come into it if you make a well prepared application and you can provide 'good reason' for possession of the firearms you want to acquire.

Suggest you read and understand the requirements of Chapter 13 "Good Reason To Possess A Firearm" of the latest Home Office Guide On Firearms Licensing Law. Enter all the firearms you want on your application with just the primary quarry species plus, "And Any Other Lawful Quarry" against them. If the FEO wants clarification i.e. for the .243, you can mention that fox would also be good reason to possess as well as deer but would be covered under AOLQ. Don't fall into the trap of just requesting the 30-06 for overseas use. It's a perfectly suitable cartridge/calibre for UK deer shooting and you might have issues getting it re-classified/conditioned during the next 5 years if you nominate it purely for use in France. No reason why it can't be used on the smaller deer species, (there's no such thing as 'overkill'), as it would do the job humanely, and that's what matters.

Research everything, (which presumably is why you're asking here), and be prepared to justify your requests from a position of strength. Attach an accompanying letter detailing experience etc. as suggested. Don't be fobbed off by an FEO trying to foist his/her ideas of what would be appropriate - it's your application and nothing you've mentioned in your OP is unreasonable, (provided you can provide 'good reason' of course. ). If you are certain about your choices and come up against an FEO who tries to get you to modify or change your application to suit their own agenda, politely request that it proceed unchanged - they are Firearms Enquiry Officers, decision making rest with the FLO and FLD manager. Don't stint yourself on ammo allowances either, 250-300 CF if you don't handload is a good starting point.

Remember, "Knowledge is Power". Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626
    not being funny, but he will need luck to get all 4 calibres, hope I'm wrong though. My mates 18 yr old son is also a shotgun cert owner and been going on paid stalks in Norfolk for over a year now. He applied for .243 with deer added, and was told to do DSC1 first, which I'm glad to say he passed last weekend. Like I said all depends on your regional firearm dept.

Each area is different and you may be lucky with yours up here you would be extremely lucky to be granted a full bore on anything as small as fifty acres.

How many deer have you shot and over what period of time?

Have you done your DSC1?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Each area is different and you may be lucky with yours up here you would be extremely lucky to be granted a full bore on anything as small as fifty acres.
    I had the same thoughts Bogtrotter. . . 50 acres is the size of a face cloth, although I suspect it's probably a typo.