Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady 75gr....any good for Roe

Hornady 75gr....any good for Roe

Hi

Does anyone have any experience using the Hornady 75gr on Roe deer? I normally use RWS 100gr but have a chance to get some hornady at cost. I appreciate lots of various variations but do people find it does the job? With a .243.

Cheers
    Last edited by purdeydog; 08-07-2014 at 11:51.

I use the RWS 100gn in my 243 and it works very well, albeit they do tend to run a bit with behind shoulder shots. I know several stalkers who use 75gn and 80gn softpoints on Roe and it seems to drop them on the spot. If you can get them at cost and they shoot well in your rifle - ie into abusiness card at 100 metres (they don't need to clover leaf) then go for it. If however they are 75gn HP load - that is more of a varmint bullet that will fragment and expand very quickly. If you are confident enough for head and neck shots they will work well, but make quite a mess, but I would be cautious of body shots - behind the shoulder through ribs probably OK, but not on the shoulder - might not penetrate to the vitals and lot of mess.

Thanks for the reply. If I can get close enough I do tend to do a head or neck shot. Otherwise a heart and Lung shot. Might give them a ago then. Cheers.

75 grn V max work very well out of my .243 exceedingly accurate, flat one bullet for roe and fox. Not too much damage to carcas but awesome effect to internals.

D

are these the 75gr Custom (soft point) rounds or the new SST? I'd be interested to hear how well they work as they're both rounds I'd like to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    75 grn V max work very well out of my .243 exceedingly accurate, flat one bullet for roe and fox. Not too much damage to carcas but awesome effect to internals.

D
    +1

So far only shot fox with these 75gr .243 SST's. They seem to fragment like a ballistic tip, tiny entry and a fist size exit wound. As soon as I have heart shot a muntjac I will post my findings.

I use the 87gn Vmax now in my .243 they are fine. I used to use the 70gn Ballistic Tip but they are very scarce now. Personally I don't mind a fist sized exit wound as long as the deer stays put.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post

D
    Quote Originally Posted by R700ROE View Post
    +1
    + another 1

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    + another 1
    + Another 1
    If at first you don't succeed, reload