Hornady 75gr....any good for Roe

purdeydog

Hi

Does anyone have any experience using the Hornady 75gr on Roe deer? I normally use RWS 100gr but have a chance to get some hornady at cost. I appreciate lots of various variations but do people find it does the job? With a .243.

Cheers

Last edited:
I use the RWS 100gn in my 243 and it works very well, albeit they do tend to run a bit with behind shoulder shots. I know several stalkers who use 75gn and 80gn softpoints on Roe and it seems to drop them on the spot. If you can get them at cost and they shoot well in your rifle - ie into abusiness card at 100 metres (they don't need to clover leaf) then go for it. If however they are 75gn HP load - that is more of a varmint bullet that will fragment and expand very quickly. If you are confident enough for head and neck shots they will work well, but make quite a mess, but I would be cautious of body shots - behind the shoulder through ribs probably OK, but not on the shoulder - might not penetrate to the vitals and lot of mess.

Thanks for the reply. If I can get close enough I do tend to do a head or neck shot. Otherwise a heart and Lung shot. Might give them a ago then. Cheers.

75 grn V max work very well out of my .243 exceedingly accurate, flat one bullet for roe and fox. Not too much damage to carcas but awesome effect to internals.

D

are these the 75gr Custom (soft point) rounds or the new SST? I'd be interested to hear how well they work as they're both rounds I'd like to try.

So far only shot fox with these 75gr .243 SST's. They seem to fragment like a ballistic tip, tiny entry and a fist size exit wound. As soon as I have heart shot a muntjac I will post my findings.

I use the 87gn Vmax now in my .243 they are fine. I used to use the 70gn Ballistic Tip but they are very scarce now. Personally I don't mind a fist sized exit wound as long as the deer stays put.

Shot a Muntjac with the 75gr SST, caught him a bit low, below the shoulder through the leg. Opened up the brisket and caused massive damage in side.
Had two small exit holes on the other side of ribs, looked certain that the bullet broke up. Buck still ran 40 yards! I am not so sure now that these are good for Roe or Muntjac. I think I will return to the 95 gr SST.

Attachments

• WP_20140531_003[1].jpg
    WP_20140531_003[1].jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 40
i loaded some hornady v max just for muntjac in bulit up places 50yrds max , for me this is a perfect bullet for the job in hand .but i would leave it at that muntjac and foxes :thumb:i used norma 75 gr on roe and yes it killed them but i soon changed my mined about them and new it would only be a matter off time before one got away as they don,t always leave an exit .If you want to shoot roe or fallow i would be looking at something around the 100 mark ,as head and neck shooting can be risky business ? .

75 grn V max work very well out of my .243 exceedingly accurate, flat one bullet for roe and fox. Not too much damage to carcas but awesome effect to internals.

D
Work well with my A-Bolt. Had no problems whatsoever with these or the 87grn flavour on Roe, Muntjac or Fox.

Back