Roe buck from last night

Hi all

Don't generally write much about my experiences but thought this one was worth a mention.

Went up to one of my pieces of ground despite there being thunderclouds showing on my weather app. Been out a few times lately to different ground and only either been seeing does or nothing at all, and was getting a bit disheartened with it all.

One of the problems is the crops are now just so long that even in the wheat your struggling to see the deer now, and maize is also now too long too. Cant wait till they start mowing the grass margins now and knocking some of the rape down !!

Anyway, went and an had a sit on one of the spots, have had quite a few deer from it in the past and figured I might just sit it out to dark rather than going walking around as it had dropped dead, and I mean dead still and I figured it would be nigh on impossible to try and stalk one.

Anyway, it gets to around 2130, not seen a thing, not even charlie has passed through so I started to get itchy feet. Figured I might check out the wheat field behind me 2 fields away as saw one in there a couple of weeks ago. Slinked over keeping low and got to the dyke and slowly looked over the field, just to see a deer ( looked like a doe ) bouncing in about 200 yds down the field. I was thinking like, how the hell has that one seen me !! The wind ( what there was ) was the right way, but anyway thought sod it off up the other end for a look.

Took a different approach this time walking up a track to the boundary rather than skirting round the wood sides to come in a different way. Light was starting to drop by this time and anyway got to the start of the last field and saw something in the field of beet next to the hedge. Binos up ( not v expensive browning ones I have had yonks ) and thought it was a buck but not sure as they aren't sparkling in poor light.

Dropped rifle on sticks and looked through scope instead ( Zeiss 6.5-24x50 Diavari ) and could see it like daylight. Nice little buck, smile on my face.

There was quite a bit of tall grass, etc between me and it so I was trying to find a gap as I have had it before where bullets have deflected off it and cleanly missed them. Also to make it worst as I was sneeking along the buck was walking away from me getting further away. So anyway,found a gap, got on sticks and got solid. Went for a shoulder shot as it looked a fair shot and let drive.....

Didn't hear the usual thump or see the deer kick out and it set off and jumped through the hedge into the next field out of sight. Got that bit gutted feeling as I figured I must have pulled the shot but figured I would go and take a look anyway. I knew exactly where he was as he was inline with a tree in the hedge which I noted so went over quickly as the light was dropping. Got to it and got the head down looking slowly at the beet tops, etc. Then I saw it, blood fresh on the leaves . Result. My heart lifted and now it was time to get it found quick !!

I knew where the deer had jumped through so literally followed it to the field behind which I had hope had been cut as it was grass. Also couldn't see any more blood anywhere though it was getting too dark.

So figured I would try walking up and down the field covering 5 metres ish at a time. I was hoping it hadnt made it to the wood at the bottom but it was a fair way off.

Anyway, on the third round I noticed the grass flattened in the field and went over and there it was, laid dead.

The bullet had hit it clean through the neck but not hit the spine, hence the lack of noise on connecting.

To say I was well chuffed is an understatement, I was 2 mins away from ringing my mate to come with the lamp and my dogs !!

So, just goes to show its always best to go for a look where the deer was, even if you think you missed it.

IMAG0144.jpg

Cheers

T69

nice wrap, T69, thank u...felt like i was there! Got me all excited now! Just goes to show, eh...out of interest, what calibre tikka was it. I'm a .243 guy and am always amazed at the negativity that round gets so am wondering if your neck shot was only fatal as u were using .308 or if a .243 did the trick all the same?

Hi

Its actually a sako 75 now in 243 , the tikka was my first rifle.

I use 85 gr gameking bullets and actually found they put roe down better than my 270 did, which with 130's just went straight through them.

Not that i want to start a debate or anything......

Nice... i have a Steyr in .243 and shoot 95gr Accutip...bit messy at times but drops them and rarely have a runner. Glad to see another .243 advocate! (not many around these days! :) )

Hi
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Nowt wrong with the .243W - still use my 30yr old P-H to put deer down.
Cheers
L

The first deer I shot with my 7mm Rem Mag was a big red stag at about 20 paces in thick cover. Through the neck but missed the spine - blood everywhere and a good trail. That boy ran (downhill) a long way! (Which meant a long hard carry back up the hill!). Doesn't matter what calliber or projectile - it still comes down to where the bullet hits! I've made some good shots and some poor shots - thankfully less of the bad ones :D

The first deer I shot with my 7mm Rem Mag was a big red stag at about 20 paces in thick cover. Through the neck but missed the spine - blood everywhere and a good trail. That boy ran (downhill) a long way! (Which meant a long hard carry back up the hill!). Doesn't matter what calliber or projectile - it still comes down to where the bullet hits! I've made some good shots and some poor shots - thankfully less of the bad ones :D

So its where you put it that counts, not how big it is...........

Thats what ar lass tells me anyway he he :tiphat:

Yes I'm free this wknd buddy :D and I'm sure you told me last time you've got a slot for a 270 now you've got rid of the WSM. Good write up buddy brought a tear to my eye :cry:

Yes I'm free this wknd buddy :D and I'm sure you told me last time you've got a slot for a 270 now you've got rid of the WSM. Good write up buddy brought a tear to my eye :cry:

The invite was to sort the pheasant pen, he he. As for the 270, I aint in no rush for one of them, just spent my funds on a Benelli M2 FAC :D

Back