Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G Kenneth Whitehead - Who was he?

G Kenneth Whitehead - Who was he?

A friend of mine after giving up shooting with guns in favour of his digital SLR, has given me his book collection of all things shooting related from as early as 1930 upto more modern times.

Within the box I've come across a book by G Kenneth Whitehead, Practical deer-stalking. Haven't read it yet but just wondering who the author was as it's not a name I'm familiar with in Deer Stalking regarding articles in magazines or have heard others mention before I.e. In the same breath as say Richard Prior.

Anybody shed some light?

Quote Originally Posted by Suffolk Shooter View Post
    A friend of mine after giving up shooting with guns in favour of his digital SLR, has given me his book collection of all things shooting related from as early as 1930 upto more modern times.

Within the box I've come across a book by G Kenneth Whitehead, Practical deer-stalking. Haven't read it yet but just wondering who the author was as it's not a name I'm familiar with in Deer Stalking regarding articles in magazines or have heard others mention before I.e. In the same breath as say Richard Prior.

Anybody shed some light?

I have a few of his excellent books a little more about the man here

Catalogue of the Kenneth Whitehead papers

A bit of a legend in deer circles and a true authority, sadly passed away now.

Cheers Guys. Just read a few pages and definitely seems to know his deer. I've even realised it's a signed copy and that I have another of his books, Hunting and Stalking deer in Britain through the ages.

Looks like I've got some reading to do

Saw his collection of heads it was AWSOME
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Suffolk Shooter View Post
    Cheers Guys. Just read a few pages and definitely seems to know his deer. I've even realised it's a signed copy and that I have another of his books, Hunting and Stalking deer in Britain through the ages.

Looks like I've got some reading to do
    You could say that. He wrote the encyclopaedia on the subject, literally. As a stalker I'm a bit surprised that you haven't encountered his works before. The signed copies would certainly be of interest to fellow stalkers.
    Last edited by 8x57; 09-07-2014 at 06:50.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Practical deer stalking by Whitehead is a must read IMO!

He was very well known in the deer world, and as a friend of my old Laird a regular visitor to the estate, though I personally never stalked with him.

G Kenneth whitehead actually came from Bolton in Lancashire but was perhaps better known in Scotland or through his books certainly had a lot of experience.i have one of his books somewhere come to think,il dig it out it may be of interest to someone.

I met Mr Whitehead many years ago, and conversed with him a few times by phone. I was also fortunate to be invited to look at his outstanding collection of antlers and heads from around the world.
    It was a tragic that on his death this fine collection was broken up although if I remember rightly he had bequeathed it to a university who have since sold it off.

A knowledgeable man and a man that loved deer, he wrote I believe a number of books including a large volume called I think "deer of the world"? which was and still is a much sort after book, in which it describes all the species.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.