Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silk purse from a sow's ear.....

Silk purse from a sow's ear.....

I have been a fan of old mauser rifles for a long time... A while back a friend of mine acquired an old 1895 model Spanish mauser...the barrel was beyond hope and he wanted to make a sporter out of it.... I helped him pull the barrel and we put a 24" barrel from ER Shaw on it..and chambered it by hand to 7x57. He purchased and installed a Bold adjustable trigger with a side safety, and had a local gunsmith replace the bolt handle and finish it with Gunkote in matt black. He purchased a Prairie Hunter unfinished stock from Boyds and he did the fitting and stock finishing himself.... Here is the result:

He has been reloading for it and found that if he has a good day that rifle will do 1" to 1.25" groups at 100yds....not too bad for a resurrected 100year old+ beater mauser! He plans to use if for whitetail deer hunting this fall.
    Zee....

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    very nice Zee.

I have an old rifle at work (belongs to my bosses great granddad, and i have been told its a mauser 7x??, they have never fired it and i was asked if this can be done,

so with a big on my face i said i will find out when i have time etc.

cant wait to do that, and as for the rifle above.

well done and i hope it gets a bit tighter as it beds in etc.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Post some photos, bobjs. You may not want to do much to modify it, if it is in original condition.
    And 7x57s came in the 1893, 1894 and other old Mausers, military and sporting, some of which were proofed for milder loads than the Model 1898 onward.

7x57mm is one of the gold standards for a balance of power, trajectory, huge range of effective bullets, and mild recoil.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Post some photos, bobjs. You may not want to do much to modify it, if it is in original condition.
    And 7x57s came in the 1893, 1894 and other old Mausers, military and sporting, some of which were proofed for milder loads than the Model 1898 onward.

7x57mm is one of the gold standards for a balance of power, trajectory, huge range of effective bullets, and mild recoil.

hay bud

Ill do that, im of work just now as i can't walk or drive with a bad knee, but as soon as im back at the castle ill get some pictures, more to see what it is and confirm to me what it is as i have been told its a old mauser, but it could be anything

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I love this, "chambered by hand" what, no mystical dark art involved? Here is a good example of why fitting barrels isn't rocket science.

Very well done that man, I like the end product. I have a project I'm considering on an M98 action, I'm just chambering a barrel in 7x57 for a customer so I'll see how that performs.

The Mauser 1893 and the even rarer 92 had squared bolt bottom this was before Paul Mauser decided that they were not needed to ensure cartridge feeding from the magazine. So the Model 1894 and 1895 had round bolt profiles. None of them have the stronger design and build of the Mauser 1898 though.

Oh yes the 1893 also has a guide rail on the inner wall of the receiver. Thi was also dropped after the Model 1893.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    Very well done that man, I like the end product. I have a project I'm considering on an M98 action, I'm just chambering a barrel in 7x57 for a customer so I'll see how that performs.
    By all means, get a project going so we can vicariously tell you how to spend your money!

My vote goes to an old stalking rifle style, with slim stock and open grip, or a Mauser style with pancake cheekpiece and flat side panels.

Brithunter--My friend is well aware of the limitations of the M95 mauser...and he really has no need for a lot of velocity or pressure...he intends to hunt deer with it in the Minnesota swamps, so his shots will seldom exceed 100yds... He is working with 140gr bullets and will probably be using partitions to hunt with.

Jager SA....Yep...its not rocket science...a hand reamer, go gauge and no-go gauge, cutting oil and the willingness to go slow. I have built a number of sporters out of M98 VZ24's and Turk actions. If you get into a hurry you will get the chance to start over when the machine shop has to set your barrel back so that you can start again...(don't ask me how I know this....) Anyone can do it...if you study up on it a bit and have a few tools...

Zee

Zee I am well aware that you know what your doing. I was describing the Mauser, early Mauser differences for others . Some on these forums are shall we say uneducated about the early rifles .

Brithunter...Yep...I know that. I was really just trying to re-iterate what you said...my friend has been quite careful about his reloading! That will pay off in the end too...the 7x57 has proven that it is effective at moderate ranges with moderate velocity...and that can easily be obtained safely in the older mausers. I am anxious to see how he does with it this coming hunting season....

Zee