Tikka T3 vs Tikka M695

I'm looking for an additional stalking rifle in 6.5x55.

My dilemma is:

Do I buy a new Tikka t3 stainless lite?

Buy a second hand M695 stainless, at a good price, scoped. Though I know nothing of the rifles history. This would need to be screw cut and I'd have to buy a mod.

or do I buy my mates Tikka t3 blued and timber, with t8, zeiss 6.5-20x50, mounts. Shoots very well. Clover leave groups at 100 meters with 120g ballistics. I shot a roe buck at 319 meters with it myself last summer.
Its had a lot of use, the stock is warped the barrel has been painted, 700 plus shot count. He wants £900 cash

The rifle will be a work horse and I can claim back the vat on the first two options.

Don't know your taste, but a 695 is a heavier rifle than the T3. I love both.
700 rounds is no wear on a 6.5x55. You know it shoots, and the scope is worth most of the price. If you like the looks, weight, fit, it is a deal.

I have a T3 Lite .30-06. Love it, but selling it to a friend out West, who is crazy about it. A 7mm-08 or 6.5x55 and a small scope make it a super rifle for rambling hills all day. Tikka does not import the 6.5x55 here.

It may be of interest but there is a Tikka M695 with Doctor scope and T8 mod for sale in my local RFD for about £1200 I think (maybe a bit less). I know nothing of its history only that its been there a while so I'm sure there would be wiggle room on the price. Maybe worth investigating as it does look very nice and well looked after. Its MFC Outdoor Stores in Hailsham, East Sussex.

forgot to add its also in 6.5x55

Last edited:
I have both rifles. Of the two I would say the 695 is better engineered but both rifles will drop deer. For me, aesthetically the 695 takes it but for practicality my T3 with synthetic stock wins. Without labouring a point both rifles are very good, will kill deer, fox etc and will serve you well. Is one better than the other, not hugely significantly.

If it was me, with your choices I would buy the new T3.

Last edited:
I'd prefer the T3 over the older version. More aftermarket bits available and options will increase.
The Zeiss 6.5-20 is a lovely scope, I like them so much that I have three. Don't think the ~ 700 shots will have done the barrel much harm. Plenty life left. Once she is shot out you can get a custom barrel fitted ....in years to come.
If the stock is warped, relieve where needed and check bedding, at worst re-bed.
edi

It may be of interest but there is a Tikka M695 with Doctor scope and T8 mod for sale in my local RFD for about £1200 I think (maybe a bit less). I know nothing of its history only that its been there a while so I'm sure there would be wiggle room on the price. Maybe worth investigating as it does look very nice and well looked after. Its MFC Outdoor Stores in Hailsham, East Sussex.
forgot to add its also in 6.5x55

Thats a lot of money for a 695 that could be why its still on tbe shelf.
.The T3 is a lot lighter but the 695 has a better stock. Mine shoots cloverleaf with 159grn ppu or 120grn home loads

I'm leaning towards t3 for the following reasons:

It's lighter, and I do a lot of miles with a rifle on my back.
Its harder enough dragging red off the moors without caring a heavy rifle too.

I know the t3 shoots well and my mates said I can take it to a gunsmith for inspection.

The 695 in question is miles away from me and I can't view it in the flesh or test fire. (It's on guntrader for £995 with Schmidt 3-12 x 50)

thanks for for all the help chaps, I'll let you know what I finally decide to do.

Back