Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sauer 202

sauer 202

Hi,

Looking at a secondhand sauer 202 in 308, any advice as what to look out for?

Cheers reggiegun

Hi - have the S202 in 6.5x55.
    What I would look out for in a second hand rifle is how free floating the barrel is on a wooden stock.
    The stock 'can' warp on the forend and barrel contact may occur; this will affect accuracy. Your cold and 2nd shot will separate but subsequent rounds within MOA - "in my experience". Switched to a synthetic stock and now patches >MOA 100m.

Please see gratuitous DSC1 shooting test pic....which is rolled out.... again..
    What's not to like?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1992.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	44321

Also look out for bolt dents, which can occur if the bolt is dropped, also barrel erosion from moderators at crown etc.
    Check it comes with stock and barrels tools.
    Obvious stuff really.
    Try and test fire whenever you can.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

I would be looking to remove the stock and forend too, see how clean things look in the areas that often don't see the light of day, check the forend for cracks.
    Did you have any joy finding out the age of the rifle? Is it blued metal or the more recent Ilofon coating?
    As mentioned before it should have a set of tools with it, if not, you can buy these direct from garlands for about£30 but they should be with the gun really...
    Any questions, feel free to pm.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    Hi - have the S202 in 6.5x55.
    What I would look out for in a second hand rifle is how free floating the barrel is on a wooden stock.
    The stock 'can' warp on the forend and barrel contact may occur; this will affect accuracy. Your cold and 2nd shot will separate but subsequent rounds within MOA - "in my experience". Switched to a synthetic stock and now patches >MOA 100m.

Please see gratuitous DSC1 shooting test pic....which is rolled out.... again..
    What's not to like?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1992.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	44321

Also look out for bolt dents, which can occur if the bolt is dropped, also barrel erosion from moderators at crown etc.
    Check it comes with stock and barrels tools.
    Obvious stuff really.
    Try and test fire whenever you can.
    Thanks for that, taking my dsc1 in Sept.

Regards,

Reggiegun

Hi Deerstalker 308,

No mate not aged the rifle, I have not bought a secondhand rifle before, I was going to buy a new 101, but have seen a 202 that looks nice for same price.

Well you'll get a lot more rifle for your money with a second hand 202 than a new 101, the initial depreciation is like anything, so if I were you, and you felt happy with the condition of it, I would go for the 202 personally.
    out of interest how much is being asked for it? Is it from the trade or private? Reputable gun shop etc? Is it on guntrader?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I sit the lightweight one with an aluminium action, or a steel action, the aluminium action can strip the threads for the mounts if over tightened. I have a 202 synthetic and it will shoot sub 1" all day at 100 yds, have used it 4 times in Africa out to 450 yds and love the rifle!!! Mines a hard working 270, but can be anything I want it to be based on an additional barrel and calibre based on that action. deerwarden

I have the 202 Outback in 0.243" and love it. As Deerstalker says go for secondhand 202 much better gun for the money and in 0.308" would be suitable for all deer species. Not sure how good it would be for target shooting as it's light weight construction might not lend it to repeated frequent target shooting, but then I only shoot deer and foxes with mine.
    Willie

Great rifle. I have a 200 Lux in .308. Solid, all steel, smooth as silk, very accurate, not picky about ammunition.

Make sure the scope mounting threads are not damaged or locked in with thread locker. Even if it comes with a set of rings, make sure there was no damage done, screws locked in, or one broken off under the mount, because some day, you may want to change bases and rings.

If it comes with rings, what kind? Some, like the EAW swing mounts, are super, and worth a lot.

Check the magazine for cycling, to be sure it is not damaged. Magazines are expensive, about $200 USD.

Ask for the history on it, why it is being sold, what it shoots well, how it was used, how much.

Thanks for the help guys. I bit the bullet and bought the rifle. All looks good. My mate has a bore scope so just been there, barrel looks good. Can't wait to zero it up at weekend.

Reggiegun