Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does a magnet pick these bullets up ?

Why does a magnet pick these bullets up ?

Simple one really, I am just sitting here about to start loading some 125 grain rounds for my 7.62x39.
    Just noticed (by accident) that the Sellier & Bellot FMJ (S&B No 2907) have a fairly high ferrous content ?
    I have tried various Hornady and Speer bullets in various calibre's expanding and target, but the S&B are the only ones the magnet picks up.
    Should I be concerned

Neil.

SD Regular
    Norma, believe it or not, also made bullets with a nickel plated steel jacket. Their soft point 180 grain 303 bullets being made it both fully copper jackets AND steel jackets with a wash of metal over them.

And much British military 303 MK VII ammunition was also nickel plated steel.

Should you be worried? Not if the magnet is picking up the bullets as they are steel jacketed, no.

But yes if it is picking them up because they are steel cored or have a steel penetrator in them. As this may cause some police forces to adjudge them as "armour piercing" ammunition which is now s5.

Will it wear out you barrel...which is probably your true worry....no more than copper jacket bullets UNDER NORMAL USE. Both copper and steel jacketed bullets if fired in such rapid sequence that the barrel gets too hot to handle will be as equally destructive to it.

Will they rust inside the case over a long time? No. But that did used to be a voiced and much mentioned concern with steel shot shot gun cartridges exposed to damp on marshes etc..

Will the jacket shatter any different to a copper jacket? There's many ways of treating steel. So that it can be brittle or very malleable (ie soft). I would have total confidence that the bullet maker has selected the correct degree of hardness and softness for the job.

Save on the steel core or penetrator issue you need have no worries unless intending to smuggle ammunition through metal detecting machines that will spot ferrous metals but not copper or the various "bronze" alloy metals of it such as brass etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Simple one really, I am just sitting here about to start loading some 125 grain rounds for my 7.62x39.
    Just noticed (by accident) that the Sellier & Bellot FMJ (S&B No 2907) have a fairly high ferrous content ?
    I have tried various Hornady and Speer bullets in various calibre's expanding and target, but the S&B are the only ones the magnet picks up.
    Should I be concerned

Neil.

Copper plated steel jackets like Russian service ammo. No steel jacketed ammo touches the bores of my good rifles. My Soviet SKS I don't care about, but a good rifle? Never. I just don't like the idea.~Muir

I would worried about a magnet anywhere near my scale and powder metering equipment.

Further investigation reveals that they are steel jacket, with a copper plated finish.
    I say plated as it is actually fairly thick, needed a file to remove it, wet and dry paper just polished the copper.
    I was going to use them for an upcoming range day, I have just one box of them, and as you may have guessed
    .312" expanding bullets in 125 grain are not so easy to get, I have some but was saving them for quarry.
    These will be fired from my CZ527 .7.62, so now I need to decide if I use them, or waste good bullets on a 50 yards indoor range.
    I also have Speer 125 grain, but they need to come from the USA, and just one box of Sierra 150 grain Pro-Hunters.
    Bit heavy for quarry, but may be fun on the range.

So question is now simple, bin the steel jacket ones and use good and very rare bullets on the range, or just use the steel ones ?
    Your opinions please, and yes this is, to me an expensive and rare rifle, and possibly the only one I will ever see, it was certainly hard enough to find.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    I would worried about a magnet anywhere near my scale and powder metering equipment.
    So would I, but scales etc are well away from the magnet.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    Don't buy the lee safety scales then as they have a magnetic damper built into them, lol.

I would sell the steel ammo and buy decent ammunition. The 527's in 7.62 x39 are scarce here. If i had one I would never consider steel ammo.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I would sell the steel ammo and buy decent ammunition. The 527's in 7.62 x39 are scarce here. If i had one I would never consider steel ammo.~Muir
    Good enough for me
    So one box of bullets free if collected
    As for selling, really don't think anybody is going to want these, even for the cost of postage, but first to claim them can have them.

Neil.

Some commie ammo has a copper jacket over a soft iron core.
    Some of the Russian 7.62x39 is soft lead hollow point.