Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEFRA Authority needed to shoot Wild Boar????

DEFRA Authority needed to shoot Wild Boar????

I've found this little snippet from the Minutes of a recent meeting of the Devon & Cornwall Constabulary Firearms Liaison Committee to be a bit of a puzzler:

".........advised the meeting that any boar that had escaped from a farm were not classed as “wild” and could only be shot with permission from the owner. However, if any of these animals enjoying their freedom should breed then their offspring would be classed as wild. A certificate would need to be varied for the shooting of wild boar. The meeting was also advised that any certificate holder that wishes to shoot wild boar would have to contact DEFRA. Shooters would need to be authorised to shoot wild boar and would need a letter from DEFRA, authority from their owner and a suitably varied certificate."

Couple of points:

Firstly: If wild boar were 'escapees' and on A N Other's land why would you need the permission of the original owner, (if he could even be traced )?

Secondly: Anybody posting on here have such a letter from DEFRA or even heard of such a thing being a requirement?

Had a look at the DEFRA website & can find nothing relating to authorisation to shoot Wild Boar.

I've always been under the impression that like Pheasants that a shoot puts down, once they stray onto other peoples land they are fair game for the land owner, I would have thought Wild Boar would be treated the same. (surely the name says it all - Wild Boar)

These documents might be of interest though.

Chris

http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/far...ldboarpres.pdf

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...iew-report.pdf

Yes Chris, like you I've been all over the DEFRA website, The British Wild Boar website and Googled like crazy, and I can't find anything, nadda, zilch that would give rise to the D&C comments.

I'm just emailing DEFRA & BWB to see if they can throw any light on it.

Worrying thing is that this gives an insight into how one police force makes firearms policy based on.......................

.................what exactly?

Whoever penned that document is an ass, boar aren't generally tagged so how do you prove ownership and in any case if you have boar on your ticket and the piggies are there it's sausage time.

If the document said something like:

'The meeting was also advised that any certificate holder that wishes to shoot must have the land owners permission and should contact DEFRA to advise them of the potential spread of the free living wild boar population.'

I might have gone along with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Orion
    Worrying thing is that this gives an insight into how one police force makes firearms policy based on.......................

"On the hoof" is the correct answer ...... although in this case probably on the trotter?

I know at one time farmed boar were supposed to be tagged, same as domestic pigs, to prove place/stock of origin; would be surprised if it had changed now.
    The big thing when I was manageing/culling them was the farmers where I was managing them wanted a shot one with an ear tag in, just to prove where they came from as the farmer who was farming them originally as he denied all knowledge of his boar being out and roaming free.
    The "rumour"was he wasn`t making any money so he rounded them up loaded them onto trucks and sold them then he just turned off the electric fences and left the gates open, surprisingly enough he hadn`t caught all of them
    Everyone in the area knew whose they were and how they came to be wild, but unless one was shot with an ear tag in there was no proof at all, and by now I don`t know what generation they would be on now as the original ëscapees"escaped or were released in 1995/6

Quote Originally Posted by Orion
    Yes Chris, like you I've been all over the DEFRA website, The British Wild Boar website and Googled like crazy, and I can't find anything, nadda, zilch that would give rise to the D&C comments.

I'm just emailing DEFRA & BWB to see if they can throw any light on it.

ANSWER..... PURE WHIM.

...not sure if David from BASC has seen this or can comment. Just out of interest are BASC or any of the other pro shooting groups ever invited to sit round the table at these meetings? I know that there are a number of forces but surely in the days of partnerships groups like BASC should be invited to these meetings, in order to clarify or correct any points raised, and put over any views from the shooting perspective.

You would like to think they know what they are talking about but........

ATB

There's a thing - according to the Minutes of the meeting, in attendance was a:

J Stewart – BASC Regional Director

Left and right hand comes to mind...............