Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you inspect/check a brand new rifle in the shop?

Question How do you inspect/check a brand new rifle in the shop?

What should I check on a NEW rifle.
    Straight barrel, Stock alignment, The crown, The trigger feel, Cycling ...... (with what? in the shop??)
    What can I check to see if I 'As a good'un' before taking possession and it becomes mine?

[Rather than grabbing it like a kid with candy at christmas running out the door and shooting it.]

All the above but until you use it the seller or you won't know if its a shooter or not ,as its new he also has it on trust that its a good one !! any damage should be pointed out to the seller just in case you need to take it back this saves both of you getting into the yes no game !!! if you are't happy just say no thats easier and better than trying to get a one for one if rifles a wrong en.

Obviously your best bet is to buy from a dealer that will let you try the gun before purchase.

If Blaser or Mauser are of interest try Paul Hill at Corinium range (HME) on here...I bought mine from him and was / am extremely happy with both the gun and the transaction.

Ivythorn Sporting also offer a "no obligation try before you buy" and I have only read/heard good things about them.

Both are in the West Country-ish

Alan

Just buy the rifle you want, most manufacturers do stringent tests on all rifles before leaving factory, so should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta cocker View Post
    Just buy the rifle you want, most manufacturers do stringent tests on all rifles before leaving factory, so should be fine
    +1 it will have been test fired anyway, also, there's nothing to say that if you had a play with it on a range before you bought it you would stumble on a bullet that suited that rifle straight away anyway, so you could be put off one for no reason.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Cheers ... I said yes.
    The tool that cut the crown was a bit rough (concentric grooves), but the rest looks good, when I change the Hogue stock I think it will be great.
    Howa .243 Varmint 20" 1:10 threaded blued.

Why a varmint,Just curious

Bent the sporter barrel of my last rifle whilst on a motorcycle, so thought I'd trade a pound of 'lug' against robustness and the ability to group sets of five down the range..... I may regret it ... my original vision was to have the same in .308 20" heavy fluted but this came up at a good price. Fat and short 'should' be more accurate as it will vibrate less wildly when fired and hence be more consistent and accurate if losing a little velocity. and I like a rifle that can shoot better than me, not worse, though for deer that is of marginal benefit at reasonable ranges.
    Last edited by marklestrange; 11-07-2014 at 21:13.

Quote Originally Posted by marklestrange View Post
    Bent the sporter barrel of my last rifle whilst on a motorcycle, so thought I'd trade a pound of 'lug' against robustness and the ability to group sets of five down the range..... I may regret it ... my original vision was to have the same in .308 20" heavy fluted but this came up at a good price. Fat and short 'should' be more accurate as it will vibrate less wildly when fired and hence be more consistent and accurate if losing a little velocity. and I like a rifle that can shoot better than me, not worse, though for deer that is of marginal benefit at reasonable ranges.

mmm Think you might find , That most rifles can shoot better then any of US

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta cocker View Post
    Just out of interest this was Remingtons reply to my questions of their acceptance figure:-

Response Via Email (Danny) 06/05/2012 08:05 AM
    Industry standard is 2 inches or less for hunting rifles. Proper ammunition and optics should make this very easy.
    Hardly stringent I would say.