Thread: Hearing Loss - sound transmission through bone.............

Hearing Loss - sound transmission through bone.............

About a year ago I started shooting more clays, not loads, maybe once or twice a month, 75 max each session, 24g loads with an O/U 20 bore. I always wore electronic ear defenders like a good lad but after each session I noticed a wee bit of a ringing noise in my left ear (I am left handed and shoot off my left shoulder). The noise largely goes after a while, but it can be a few weeks and is probably still there in the background.

I recently changed the ear defenders to a better pair (I was concerned the orginals were not working correctly) and added an ear plug to the left ear, but after shooting 50 clays yesterday the noise is back. Not really loud, but noticable and annoying, plus no one really wants tinnitus do they?

I have been to the medics and I do have mild hearing damage to my left ear. Not dramatic but it is there and at the right frequency to be shooting induced.

It would appear that the sound is travelling through bone (or my empty brain cavity) to reach my ear, so no amount of defenders/plugs will stop it.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or am I just 'special'?!

Does anyone have any suggestions to reduce or eliminate the effect - such as by modifying the gun or changing to another type (semi auto) or calibre (was thinking 28 or even 410). I am ideally after practical solutions that you or friends have used to combat this problem, ones that worked!!

At the moment I don't understand enough of the physics of the sound transmission to work out a way to stop it effectively, but it can't be unique situation or an unsolvable problem.

I don't really want to give up clays unless I have to, but my hearing/health is more important and I'd still have plenty of other forms of shooting so it won't be the end of my world.

Your thoughts would be appreciated ladies and gents,

hh

I am a bilateral hearing aid user and also suffer from tinnitus, which presents as a high-pitched whistle.

My tinnitus is managed by my use of in-the-ear hearing aids.

My hearing damage was caused by military turbine engines, rock music and a great deal of SLR use in the days before hearing damage was understood.

Bone conduction hearing is very hard to protect and here is an article that gives an insight: http://www.tkontheweb.com/documents/...Protection.pdf

Perhaps I am fortunate - my bone conduction hearing is inefficient and has not caused any further damage to my ears.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    I am a bilateral hearing aid user and also suffer from tinnitus, which presents as a high-pitched whistle.

My tinnitus is managed by my use of in-the-ear hearing aids.

My hearing damage was caused by military turbine engines, rock music and a great deal of SLR use in the days before hearing damage was understood.

Bone conduction hearing is very hard to protect and here is an article that gives an insight: http://www.tkontheweb.com/documents/...Protection.pdf

Perhaps I am fortunate - my bone conduction hearing is inefficient and has not caused any further damage to my ears.

Thanks for your quick reply.

That is a very interesting article.

Rgds,

hh

It was a long time ago, but I'm sure one of my biology teachers explained that the jaw bone serves as an amplifier for the eardrum. I guess that would depend on the frequency of the sound wave resonating off it, etc.

Anyway, how about using sub-sonic clay loads? That should help...

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    It was a long time ago, but I'm sure one of my biology teachers explained that the jaw bone serves as an amplifier for the eardrum. I guess that would depend on the frequency of the sound wave resonating off it, etc.

Anyway, how about using sub-sonic clay loads? That should help...
    I never asked and never gave it a second thought other than that the guy wasn't right in his head... And no idea if it is connected with what you just said...But I was at a clay range last year and 1 guy was wearing what looked like a boxing (?) pad/helmet that covered his cheekbones and jaws/chin and I guess had ear plugs in........ Curious now and will have to ask a couple guys that go there more often than me if they know.....

I have almost 70% hearing loss in one ear and 60 in the other and they scream so bad that I swear the person next to me can hear it.... Hearing aids help a lot with the ringing.....

For the OP... If you are healthy now as far as hearing, keep it that way at all costs and no regard to vanity.... Shoot all you want and plugs along with muffs can't hurt.... If you thing wrapping a towel around your head will help, do it and screw what anyone else thinks... People comit suicide because of Tinnitus.... Good luck and have fun...