Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The value of shooting" report

"The value of shooting" report

Hello everyone.

Has anyone else had a look through the "Value of shooting" report that's just been published? If you're interested, here's a link to the report on the BASC website, although it doesn't include access to all the data: http://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugin...oad.php?id=744

A lot will be made of the economic value of shooting sports, but the statistic that I retain from this is that 62% of all edible quarry shot is eaten by those who shot it or provided the shooting, with about half that much going to gamedealers. So most people eat what they shoot, which is something heartening, it means that most people can justify their activity to the general public (and themselves) because they eat the products.

The stats I'd like to see are more around the type and scale of shooting that people do. I suspect that most shooters are involved in small-scale, DIY or informal shooting that doesn't involve vast financial resources. But the side of shooting that's visible to the world at large is mostly just big-scale driven shooting at vast expense. It would be good to make the point that it's not all the domain of plutocrats and bankers....

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Hello everyone.

Has anyone else had a look through the "Value of shooting" report that's just been published? If you're interested, here's a link to the report on the BASC website, although it doesn't include access to all the data: http://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugin...oad.php?id=744

A lot will be made of the economic value of shooting sports, but the statistic that I retain from this is that 62% of all edible quarry shot is eaten by those who shot it or provided the shooting, with about half that much going to gamedealers. So most people eat what they shoot, which is something heartening, it means that most people can justify their activity to the general public (and themselves) because they eat the products.

The stats I'd like to see are more around the type and scale of shooting that people do. I suspect that most shooters are involved in small-scale, DIY or informal shooting that doesn't involve vast financial resources. But the side of shooting that's visible to the world at large is mostly just big-scale driven shooting at vast expense. It would be good to make the point that it's not all the domain of plutocrats and bankers....
    I understand your point of view, re: desire for stats, but is it not also the case that people have some right to privacy? Whether they be rich or poor. Is it really anyone else's business, what, where and when people shoot; so long as no laws are broken, obviously?

Quote Originally Posted by SL6.5 View Post
    I understand your point of view, re: desire for stats, but is it not also the case that people have some right to privacy? Whether they be rich or poor. Is it really anyone else's business, what, where and when people shoot; so long as no laws are broken, obviously?
    Oh absolutely, I don't actually want to know what individuals are up to, just more along the lines of what proportion of shooters are primarily stalkers, wildfowlers, driven game shooters, roughshooters, that sort of thing.

I think PM makes a good point.

As with hunting with hounds, which was routinely, and falsely, portrayed in a hostile press as the exclusive domain of a privileged elite, shooting is represented by antis as an elite pastime, since it weakens their case to acknowledge the fact that the people involved come from all walks of life.

If the PACEC survey had provided data to show just how broad a base the various forms of shooting enjoy, this would constitute a strong argument in the ongoing public debate.

(By the way, I'm also very glad that shooting continues to be favoured by those who enjoy wealth and privilege, and fail to see why their pursuit of happiness should be of any less worth than anyone else's).
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    (By the way, I'm also very glad that shooting continues to be favoured by those who enjoy wealth and privilege, and fail to see why their pursuit of happiness should be of any less worth than anyone else's).
    It doesn't really matter as long as their fun doesn't come at the cost of excluding everyone else, which in practice means driving prices up to make them unaffordable to most people. That does happen sometimes...

the magic syndicate,many places round here on very expensive syndicates .too much dough for most.u need balence ,joe banker n his chums shoot 10 days a year the bunnies /pigeons/crows are still there the other 355 days a year.something two stage would be good.the pheasant/high bird boys and a rough shoot running separately.extra income for the farmer and more affordable shooting for the working man.not being elitist just sharing the sport.????

It doesn't really matter as long as their fun doesn't come at the cost of excluding everyone else, which in practice means driving prices up to make them unaffordable to most people. That does happen sometimes...
    Affordability and exclusivity are other interesting points to raise. That picture has changed almost immeasurably inside a generation, both at the upper and lower levels of access. "Exclusivity" actually used not to be about cost at all. No monies changed hands directly at either end of the spectrum. Now money seems to be involved almost across the entire spectrum.

Well in some ways that's much more democratic. When it's all stitched up based on contacts, friends, family, nepotism and so on, it's really unpleasant for those on the outside looking in. It's lovely for those on the inside though!

Well in some ways that's much more democratic. When it's all stitched up based on contacts, friends, family, nepotism and so on, it's really unpleasant for those on the outside looking in. It's lovely for those on the inside though!
    I always find that a challenging and slightly contradictory concept i.e. "democracy for those who can afford it" too bad for those who find they can't. Ironically, in this newly more democratic world, those less wealthy members of the rural community who used to get the roe stalking and ferreting etc, now find they must compete with others who never used to cause them a problem. Our world certainly changes but not all change is for the better.

The law of unintended consequences is clearly at work.

Expecting those with the influence that comes from wealth and/or position to exercise it fairly is one thing, and a reasonable subject for discussion...

but perhaps deserving of a thread all of its own.

I was seeking in my comments merely to avoid the assumption that I approved of the wholesale bashing of "city types" and "toffs", which is used by the antis as a convenient brush to tar all shooters. Sadly, -to judge by the course this thread is taking- this is something it seems shooters are oddly keen on too.

Pity.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay