Thread: out of season licence

out of season licence

Hi, I hope this is in the right section, one of the farm's i shoot on the farmer is going nut's with Geese[graylag/canadian] eating his winter wheat, i went down today to see him and the Geese maybe 500-600, could anybody give me a Phone No so he could call to see if he can get a out of season licence to shoot some, i had been shooting approx 20 every other day before the bad weather ban, the damage they are doing to his crop's is unreal, i am in central west coast not far from Greenock Scotland, any advice would be welcome as i cannot find any numbers to call or pass on.

Sorry i dont know much about geese my friend but if youve got that many id be happy to drive up for the weekend as im a quick learner 8)

Terry

black lab pm sent hope the info helps you out

Try BASC Scotland if you are a member, or phone the Scottish Parliament. All the info online for Scotland seems to be a couple of years out of date and I do know they were squabbling over it only a couple of months ago.

Meanwhile back in the real world, down Mexico way, we can shoot Canada's all year round - either in season, or under the terms of the general licence.

Open general licence

Black lab if the law is the same in scotland as it is in england you can download a licence from natural englands website to cover you to shoot canadas out of season. [you will need to check scotish laws]

You do have to follow the advice on the licence though and prove if challenged that other none lethal methods have been tried but have failed

The licence is free and just needs a signature and was originally isued by defra but was handed over to natural england in 2005 if my memory serves me correctly.

Just as an example people who shoot pidgeons in england for crop protection without a licence are tecnicaly breaking the law [food for thought ]

The link to the site below should hopefully put you on the right track

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Ima..._tcm6-7669.pdf

I hope this helps
    ATB
    RICK O SHEA

I had a variation added to my .223 to include the old defra general licence for Canada's, my mate then did the same, some of the younger birds can produce quite good breast meat & seems quite popular amongst those we know who make game pies, Mrs Finnbear has tried this meat in pie & pasty form, very good when I tried them.

Contact SNH re lisence, expect some hassle!!!!!!

I've had lisences in the past for out of season geese, some easy some impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM for more info. I'm from that neck of the woods originally so good chance I'll know the farm.

Good Luck

Re: out of season licence

Quote Originally Posted by black lab
    Hi, I hope this is in the right section, one of the farm's i shoot on the farmer is going nut's with Geese[graylag/canadian] eating his winter wheat, i went down today to see him and the Geese maybe 500-600, could anybody give me a Phone No so he could call to see if he can get a out of season licence to shoot some, i had been shooting approx 20 every other day before the bad weather ban, the damage they are doing to his crop's is unreal, i am in central west coast not far from Greenock Scotland, any advice would be welcome as i cannot find any numbers to call or pass on.
    I'm sure your farm isn't the only one in Renfrewshire/Inverclyde with Geese problems at the moment black lab.

I have seen 1000's in this area too & they must be doing fair damage on the winter crop?