Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnum Moderator

Magnum Moderator

Hi,

I am soon to be getting a 7mm Rem Mag. So not a 100+ grain powder burner. More like 60 odd grains, which is not that much more than I put through my 270 already.

I have a couple of moderators that are 30 cal that I use on my 270.

One being a Ase Utra North Star the other is a Hardy Gen 4.

Neither of which are sold as "Magnum Moderators"

Looking at some old posts on here it seems that a lot of folk use standard moderators on their magnums.

I would rather use one of the mods I already have providing there would be no pitfalls in doing so.

What are other peoples thoughts on this issue?

Cheers

I've got a standard T8 on my 7mm RemMag and a standard Ase U Jet Z Compact on my 300WM.... The T8 is fine and takes all the recoil out of it.

The Jet Z is just a bit "snappy" on my tinnitus although not enough to make me wish I had something bigger on there. Bit more of felt recoil too and that's on the Blazer LRS2......So? Call me a wimp .

The 7mm is a standard barrel Blaser R93 Professional - every time I shoot I remember how gentle it is. Much easier to shoot than the unmoderated Mannlicher Schonauer .270 it replaced...would've been sacrilege to have that screwcut.

Cheers

Fizz
    Last edited by fizzbangwhallop; 11-07-2014 at 14:41.

As you indicate .................................. there are magnums .................................... and then there are MAGNUMS .

I would expect any moderator capable of handling the gas capacity produce by the 270 Winchester to also be able to handle the gas capacity of the 7mm Rem Mag. However a 7mm RUM for instance would be another matter.

Some moderators are available as calibre specific. Whilst browsing I notice a couple offer a .28 calibre moderator or .28 calibre inserts if modular construction.

There are some who claimed that the 270 Win was really a magnum cartridge but the case is not really big enough to my mind for that.

Gas cutting would be an issue to watch with either cartridge IMHO.

i use a PES T12 on my 300WM
    pushing 90gr of powder and it works a charm

i use a Ase north star on my 7mm rem magand had no really issue from it. it is more than capable of reducing the muzzle flip to a workable level and compared to the .270 i shot with a T8 last week, there is little to no diffrence.

BTW its burning 69gr of powder.

Andy7mm
    "Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    i use a PES T12 on my 300WM
    pushing 90gr of powder and it works a charm
    What powder you using Ed that's quite a load !

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbangwhallop View Post
    Much easier to shoot than the unmoderated Mannlicher Schonauer .270 it replaced...would've been sacrilege to have that screwcut.

Cheers

Fizz
    Makes me cringe to even think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brough View Post
    What powder you using Ed that's quite a load !

Ha!
    yes it would be
    Typo
    meant to be "80gr"
    well near enough using N160 or H1000

I use my Hardy Gen IV on my 300 Win Mag with no problem. I spoke with Riflecraft beforehand and they said it was suitable so I would't worry about it on the 7mm Rem Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Ha!
    yes it would be
    Typo
    meant to be "80gr"
    well near enough using N160 or H1000
    Had me going there for a while as well Ed .