Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One for the gunsmiths (professional and amateur)

One for the gunsmiths (professional and amateur)

I have a CZ452 in HMR, I've got a nice little Leupold 10x42 scope on it currently in some cheap sports match rings. The rings are not even straight on the action with the scope being canted off to one side. I've tried flipping the clamps over but it doesn't make any difference.

possible solutions are,

• Buy some Weaver grand slam rings, about 40
    • buy some Kozap ones, about 90

Or this is the gun smithing part as I'm a bit tight. I have some Leupols low rings that I had used with this scope on another rifle and the bases are only 20ish however the CZ452 isn't drilled and tapped to accept bases. So here is the question, is it as simple as using a pillar drill and clamp, make sure everything is lined up and drill the appropriate holes and then tap new threads in?

I've got all the tools to do this and I'm 95% confident I can do it without messing it up but just wanted to ask if there was anything glaringly obvious I'd missed or if anyone has done similar or would they just recommend either of the two rings I've mentioned instead?

I'd go for the Grand Slam's if I were you, they're not going to break the bank and they're pretty solid. I wouldn't consider going near a drill unless I was 100% certain of what I was doing. If you muck it up, you've ruined the resale value at the very least.

sound advice u cant undrill a hole ,and buy the best u can afford for piece of mind.

What about the likely cost of getting a proper gunsmith to do it?.

best get a proper quote m8.labours what 25/30 quid n hour shouldnt be too extreme,for a couple of threaded holes.precise drilled but threaded holes none the less .a screw cut on a muzzle only costs about 50 so it wont be open wallet surgery atb

thought they had an 11mm dovetail rail what version have you got ! this was a Silhouette, now has the 455 stock on it as pals dog eat the plastic one !!
    Attachment 44373

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    got to go with paul here.

the 11mm rail is a standard thing with the cz factory rifles. i would have a good look at the scope rings you have and take it from there, i used sportmatch rings on most of my pre owned cz rifles over the years and there was never an issue.

i hope it turns out to be a bad set of rings rather than a fault with the dovetails.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I've successfully drilled & tapped a Bruno rimfire and using the Brownells kit.

The other and better option is to install Conetrol Dap-Tar bases and rings.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    I've successfully drilled & tapped a Bruno rimfire and using the Brownells kit.

The other and better option is to install Conetrol Dap-Tar bases and rings.

K
    i swear you must be on some kind of commission???? Any mention of rings, and it has to be conetrol.....!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

thats what i used on mine bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    got to go with paul here.

the 11mm rail is a standard thing with the cz factory rifles. i would have a good look at the scope rings you have and take it from there, i used sportmatch rings on most of my pre owned cz rifles over the years and there was never an issue.

i hope it turns out to be a bad set of rings rather than a fault with the dovetails.

bob.