BSA in 243 unknown model?

oldmate

Hello everyone I have a BSA in 243 does any one know how to tell me date and model?
Ill post some pics as soon as I can
cheers

According to John Knibb's book 'The Golden Century', the number relates to the Hunter and Viscount models 1958 to 1966.
The proof mark photo is not quite clear but if the left hand letter is an R then the proof year is 1966. If it is a K then it is 1959. If you can be certain of the letter then a positive proof date can be ascertained. Brithunter on here is the expert on BSA.

Yeah sorry about the poor photo it's a"K"I had a better close up but looks like I uploaded the wrong photo. I was told also it had a muzzle brake from the factory but it has been removed at some point.
thanks for the info!
wes

Enlarging the photo shows that the first letter may well be "K" and if so that dates proof to 1959. BSA submitted rifles to proof in the white.. That is before blacking hence the proof marks are smoothed off and finished over. I would expect this to be earlier rather than later as it has the full length extractor and the later models didn't have this feature.

The stock is the American pattern rather than the slimmer European one and as the name Hunter is missing from the left wall of the action I would say it's more likely to be a Regent model.

Hope that helps.

Yeah sorry about the poor photo it's a"K"I had a better close up but looks like I uploaded the wrong photo. I was told also it had a muzzle brake from the factory but it has been removed at some point.
thanks for the info!
wes

The brake would have been the BESA recoil reducer:-

Seen here on a majestic. Sorry about the poor photo :oops: had to use another camera at that time. There was also a range adaptor available which fitted over the BESA to shut it off. Will ty to get a photo of it one day.

Back