Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17 rem problems

17 rem problems

i have just brought a sako 17 rem i am having some problems,

using n133 25gn vmax and berger 25gn too i made some rounds at 21.5gn just to get me started on a rough zero !

brought a new vortex viper 6x24 to 50 ! problems started when i got the gun zeroed the point of impact changed on both bullet through testing the barrel had got hot i think it may be this but my mate tells me that a hot barrel will throw them all over not change impact point. any ideas ?
    Last edited by keeper; 12-07-2014 at 22:18.

When I put a Boyds stock on my Remington model 7 stainless first 2 shots were 1/2 to 3/4 inches apart the third shot was always 1 inch high and 1 inch right, the fourth shot was 2 inches high and 2 inches right the fifth shot about 5 inches high and right and this was fairly constant if you took your time and let the barrel cool between shots it didn't happen.I removed some of the wood in the barrel channel and it does not happen now.

Quote Originally Posted by keeper View Post
    i have just brought a sako 17 rem i am having some problems,

using n133 25gn vmax and berger 25gn too i made some rounds at 21.5gn just to get me started on a rough zero !

brought a new vortex viper 6x24 to 50 ! problems started when i got the gun zeroed the point of impact changed on both bullet through testing the barrel had got hot i think it may be this but my mate tells me that a hot barrel with throw them all over not change impact point. any ideas ?
    How far out did it throw them? I am not a big Vortex fan. If the bedding isn't suspect, I'd be looking at the scope.~Muir

I would check mounts, screws etc are tight and shoot some more groups. In my rifle the berger 25s shoot better than the 20g vmax. Haven't tried the 25g vmax yet. One thing I have found is that the remington brass is rubbish!

Sounds like you over heated the barrel. Try again and only fire a couple of shots at a time. Best fox calibre out there.

yep check the barrel is free floated , and scope tight.

i got it shooting 1" right of the bull 3 bullets in 15mm @ 100 yards then the next 3 dropped 2.5" right under the bull 10mm group this gun is second hand and has been bedded

Nothing wrong with he groups, I would just shoot more to see if the wandering zero is repeatable. If you can, you could swap scopes for one of known trustworthiness and see if the zero still wanders.

Quote Originally Posted by keeper View Post
    i got it shooting 1" right of the bull 3 bullets in 15mm @ 100 yards then the next 3 dropped 2.5" right under the bull 10mm group this gun is second hand and has been bedded
    When did you clean it last? My old 17Mach IV would shift groups when clean. As it fouled up it settled down.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    When did you clean it last? My old 17Mach IV would shift groups when clean. As it fouled up it settled down.~Muir
    i clean the gun every time i use it