Thread: Ase Utra Dual

Ase Utra Dual

Hi
    Is there anyone out there using an Ase Utra Dual Rimfire on a .17HMR, and if so how often do you strip it down to clean the crud out?

I didn't have the mod you describe, but I experienced lots of fouling from the Li'l Gun powder they use in HMR's, the mod would fill up around fifty rounds or so, the crud was very smelly & slightly damp, a good flush out of parts in a parts washer using kero worked well. Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Yes. I put 40 rounds through mine yesterday. Got nice and hot. When I stripped it later it was mingin and appeared wet inside. I suppose the residue attracts moisture? I don't recommend putting it away uncleaned and mounted on the rifle muzzle. Well made unit though although the inner tube can difficult to remove without brute force.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    leave it to long and when its dry you will have a flame out from the mod.

seen this with low priced range and high priced range moderators on both 22 and 17 hmr calibres,

i used to clean both mine after every use, a air line was the best i found, one good flush through job done.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    leave it to long and when its dry you will have a flame out from the mod.

seen this with low priced range and high priced range moderators on both 22 and 17 hmr calibres,

i used to clean both mine after every use, a air line was the best i found, one good flush through job done.

bob.
    Bob
    Trust me. An airline does'nt touch the .17HMR crud in this particular moderator. There are too many parts inside (about 16 S/S oval washers mounted slanting in the inner tube), and thats before you detach the inner cylinder. I've tried soaking in WD40 and then blasting out with an airline then on stripping I find all that does is make the crud more tenacious. Got to strip and wash and brush the washers in petrol then use a bottle type brush on the internal tube bores. Good job I'm retired.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by blaven View Post
    Bob
    Trust me. An airline does'nt touch the .17HMR crud in this particular moderator. There are too many parts inside (about 16 S/S oval washers mounted slanting in the inner tube), and thats before you detach the inner cylinder. I've tried soaking in WD40 and then blasting out with an airline then on stripping I find all that does is make the crud more tenacious. Got to strip and wash and brush the washers in petrol then use a bottle type brush on the internal tube bores. Good job I'm retired.
    that to me sounds like a ase utra for both 22/17. remove the end cap and you have an nightmare each ovel baffle has lugs on and I recall no matter how many times i tried to get them back in was harder than winning the lottery.

I wish you we'll I only ever removed the iner tube once. sold it on with my third hmr snd went for a dm80 mod and never looked back.

bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

The Owner's Manual (a sheet of A4) has a large print Health & Safety warning saying the mod will contain heavy metals and other substances injurious to health and says "for this reason, and because regular cleaning is neither necessary nor beneficial, we recommend that users should not attempt to disassemble air rifle and rim fire sound moderators". Eh??? Bit of backside-covering going on there!!

In addition there is a paragraph: "If severe internal fouling is suspected of causing a reduction in performance (usually after 1,000 rounds), the silencer should be cleaned in an ultrasonic bath-(we've all got one of those have'nt we)? without disassembly, dried and oiled with WD40 or Napier gun cleaner.

Presumably after 1,000 rounds a fall off in performance means a dull thud on firing followed by the bullet just clearing the muzzle crown before falling out, accompanied by a bulging barrel and singed eyebrows?

Quote Originally Posted by blaven View Post
    The Owner's Manual (a sheet of A4) has a large print Health & Safety warning saying the mod will contain heavy metals and other substances injurious to health and says "for this reason, and because regular cleaning is neither necessary nor beneficial, we recommend that users should not attempt to disassemble air rifle and rim fire sound moderators". Eh??? Bit of backside-covering going on there!!

In addition there is a paragraph: "If severe internal fouling is suspected of causing a reduction in performance (usually after 1,000 rounds), the silencer should be cleaned in an ultrasonic bath-(we've all got one of those have'nt we)? without disassembly, dried and oiled with WD40 or Napier gun cleaner.

Presumably after 1,000 rounds a fall off in performance means a dull thud on firing followed by the bullet just clearing the muzzle crown before falling out, accompanied by a bulging barrel and singed eyebrows?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!