Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seduced by the dark side. Long live Blaser

Seduced by the dark side. Long live Blaser

Well I've just been converted to the dark side. I've just swaped my Sako 85 for a Blaser R93. I know LOTS of people don't like them but for me my 85 just didn't fit me. LOP can always be addressed but the pistol grip on the 85, unlike previous models, just wasn't right for me. The trigger laid half way down my finger and I just wasn't happy with it.

So whilst I was over at Mike's at Calton Moor recently he mentioned he had a second hand but 'as new' R93 in .308. I tried it with my Zeiss on top and blow me, with factory ammo it shot 1/2" groups! It fits like a glove and the trigger was a joy to use. I personally love the straight pull action, it's so fast and with the cocking button it feels fast handling and natural. The only negative I have is the blind magazine but other than that, it's a very good rifle and a darn site cheaper than the R8.

I know it's not to everyone's taste but for me the Blaser really works. So with a quick 1-4-1 at North Wales Police I've gone back to the trusty .308 again. It will do everything in the UK and if I ever fancy something a bit meatier, I can just swap the barrel out with two bolts.

Happy days!
    Last edited by Roelander; 13-07-2014 at 11:18.
    Another convert to the Dark side

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    welcome to the dark side.
    Cheers artschool.

You will not be disapointed and in 308, it will do everything you want of it

The only negative I have is the blind magazine
    NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    You will not be disapointed and in 308, it will do everything you want of it

The only negative I have is the blind magazine
    NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS
    Anyone can verify this with Calton Moor. Mike put my scope on and zeroed it in two shots whilst everyone was standing and watching. Someone said, 'ha no pressure then' as I stepped up to test the rifle. I fired the first round and it went low, right. Okay, lets see where the next round goes.... bang thump.... it's in the same hole! and then the 3rd round, bang, thump.... the same hole again! And that was just with Hornady SP factory ammo too.

So yes, I'm more than happy with it already and can't recommend the R98 enough. Lovely to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by [I
    The only negative I have is the blind magazine[/I]
    NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS
    The top loading mag. You can't drop it from below and it's only a single stack unlike the Sako which is a double stack and bottom release mag. But in all honesty I can live with that

Welcome to the darkside
    sounds like you have the R 93
    the R8 has the detachable mag with trigger assembley all built into one
    regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by Roedinator View Post
    Welcome to the darkside
    sounds like you have the R 93
    the R8 has the detachable mag with trigger assembley all built into one
    regards pete
    Yep, fat fingers this morning. It should read R93. The R8 was a bit too expensive for me

Good luck with your Blaser R93. Sounds like you found the near perfect rifle for you and that's what matters IMHO.
    Mauser M03 Extreme .308 / Ruger 22 250

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrecruiter View Post
    Good luck with your Blaser R93. Sounds like you found the near perfect rifle for you and that's what matters IMHO.
    Cheers Grimrecruiter, you're spot on there. It's all about confidence at the end of the day and everyones different.