Tetsol 800 medication

lanber

We are having to medicate pheasant poults in one of the pens with a 1000 birds in it with Tetsol 800 due to them dying from being stressed putting them off from feeding and drinking. Today the medication was added by one of keepers to the drinking water in the IBC tank to treat the birds for 5 days. . The dosage has been worked out and added to 500ltrs of fresh water in the tank, but after reading the labelling, it says that medicated water should be prepared daily and any medicated water not consumed within 24 hrs should be discarded. We are only voluntary keepers on this shoot doing as much as we can in our spare time and not able to be there daily. Do you think we will be ok with what we have done making this batch in one go to last 5 days or will the birds not benefit from this. Hope this has made sense..

No-one knows. What did the prescribing vet put on the label?

If the datasheet says discard after 24 hours then that is what I would always do. It would be nice if the whole course of treatment could be made up at once, and since the datasheet says it cannot, I'd suspect there was some sort of issue there.

Don't mess about with antibiotics.

Ring the prescribing vet. Bother them at 9.30 on a Sunday night for all I care. They have a duty to label the product properly.........

I have done the same and discarded ,these days I have mains water to most phezy pens and max water capacity is 40 gal header tanks which I can turn off so as not to dilute the medication .a 1000 birds will drink a fair bit poss 40 gal a day on a real hot day but not 500 ,bummer you might get away with 48 hrs but best start again but being p/t doesn't help as they need to be kept a close eye on so as not to let them run out of water completely .i feel for you
norma

We are having to medicate pheasant poults in one of the pens with a 1000 birds in it with Tetsol 800 due to them dying from being stressed putting them off from feeding and drinking. Today the medication was added by one of keepers to the drinking water in the IBC tank to treat the birds for 5 days. . The dosage has been worked out and added to 500ltrs of fresh water in the tank, but after reading the labelling, it says that medicated water should be prepared daily and any medicated water not consumed within 24 hrs should be discarded. We are only voluntary keepers on this shoot doing as much as we can in our spare time and not able to be there daily. Do you think we will be ok with what we have done making this batch in one go to last 5 days or will the birds not benefit from this. Hope this has made sense..

Just out of interest, what has caused them to be stressed?

You need to freshen the water daily i'm afraid. If you can get a 40 gallon drum to put in-line between the IBC and the water line then thats the easiest solution. You could also put a post by each drinker and syphon the water from a suspended 5 gallon drum.

How frequently is someone able to visit?

If its hexameter then Aurofac in the food would be a simpler solution but it's going to take a day or two for the food to arrive.

Are there any big shoots locally who could lend you 14 bags?

Medicating in water is a right pain in the arse even for us as professionals. You can guarantee a squirrel is going to bite the 5mm pipe or a saddle is going to burst off just after you've filled the header tank and 40 gallons of expensive yellow water is going to leak and the birds get even more stressed ;)

Many thanks for the swift reply Apache and Norma. I will get in touch with the vet's, last thing I want to do is cost the shoot on meds and not properly administer resulting in more deaths..

If its hexameter then Aurofac in the food would be a simpler solution but it's going to take a day or two for the food to arrive.

Are there any big shoots locally who could lend you 14 bags?

To clarify - Aurofac (like Tetsol) are prescription only medicines. It is AGAINST THE LAW to go and 'borrow' some bags.

These are important products that must be prescribed by a vet to animals under their care. They are not sweeties to be passed around mates.

All good advice from above posts
I would go the header tank route and do a daily dosage
that way you know it's the right amount at its best strenght
when there dying like that you haven't the time to take chances
regards pete

To clarify - Aurofac (like Tetsol) are prescription only medicines. It is AGAINST THE LAW to go and 'borrow' some bags.

These are important products that must be prescribed by a vet to animals under their care. They are not sweeties to be passed around mates.
Not being funny apache but when your in the s""t you need a few mates there is no worse a sight for a keeper than a pen of sick pheasants by the book is great but often in reality too LATE ! Especially at the weekend .
regards
norma

When your poults are ill there's nothing worse, I've got 1 pen that was really bad a few seasons ago, so since them I disenfect it as you can still see where they all piled up to die. All of my 1000l tanks have a water tablet in it, so there is no need to change it daily. Gamebird tonic will bring them back with your antibiotics

Stacey

I knew that would come up but I was in a rush lol! Of course you must obtain the correct prescription and replace said bags ;) It's a better solution than letting them die.

I'll bet you never exceed the 30mph speed limit when driving to an emergency either.

At the recommendation of our vet, I get a prescription in advance now so I have 1 week's worth for every pen already in stock. The second I get an issue- they go on it.
So might be an idea to plan ahead for next year.
Also, consider why the stress is occurring. It's cheaper and easier to enlarge pens, coppice Hazel and knock a few trees down to make a pen more attractive than it ever is to start medicating.
Consider your feeding/water too. At the very least you want 10 drinkers and close to 20 hoppers in that pen. I have a pen of 3000 with 42 spring hoppers and 8 mannolla's in it. Give your game farmer a few of the hoppers you use if they're different and get him to stick them in the runs at 5 weeks- by the time your get them they will already be well accustomed.

Many thanks for the advice chaps, and I have phoned vet as well. Got 15 drinkers in pen and 20 spring feeders.. Birds have been hammered nightly with owls even with miles of string across pen with strips of feed bags tied on, flashing road side lights, radios on, ( think I'll try a different station to radio 2 if they like it so much). Must admit, cover in this pen is pretty poor too, so have lifted wire now seeing they have been in there 10 days before they get a taste for each other aswell..

They are looking loads better Norma. Was down to 2 dead one's this morning, which makes a change to picking up a dozen or so daily..

Tetsol 800 is an antibiotic - one of the tetracyclines. As a group they become ineffective quite rapidly in the presence of organic matter, so the slightest trace of much or algae and you get a low dose. Low dose antibiotics are great for creating resistance. If the birds are stressed you need (as others have said) to find out why. Antibiotics for "stress" are a poor substitute for good husbandry, so although you are using it this year, try and avoid the same problem next year.

get your script and meds in place before your birds come , put a 45 gallon drum header tank in line so you can medicate dayly , flush the system through before birds come and make sure they have multi vits and electrolytes in the water on arival . Plenty of clean drinkers should be available and if one bird looks sick treat them all straight away

Back