Thread: Report on dog training with Stone

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Report on dog training with Stone

Firstly I'd like to thank Robert (aka Stone) for a great day tracking training on Sunday.
    The day started at 1pm, well nearly as there was a dog show nearby and a few wayward dog people found their way to us and had to be re-directed. It amused me to think what they would have made out dogs being encouraged to rag bits of deer skin and then knocking holes in the skin with a .22 rimfire.
    Introductions out of the way we started with a demonstration of Stones dog attempting a 30hr track. It brings home to you how rubbish the human nose really is when you see a dog smelling nothing more than foot scent that is over a day old and had had some heavy rain and a shower on it.
    Now I will freely admit to being a total novice when it comes to my dog. Don't get me wrong I have had other dogs and trained them but so far I just haven't got it with Dexter. I know he has a nose and i know he can track but this day was more about training the trainer than training the dog.
    Under Stones expert tuition it became apparent that Dexter did indeed have a nose. But my interpretation of what he was doing was woefully off. The signs are so subtle. Dexter did complete his 3/4 hr track despite wanting to go off and track a pheasant instead and that track in itself with guidance from Stone taught me some of the signs I need to be looking for.
    We followed other attending dogs during the day and gleaned various snippets of valuable information.
    Procedure before the track even starts was an excellent example. Sadly one track went completely awry when the dog lost interest because his lead and harness were not on before the tracker went to inspect the shot site. The dog then ready and waiting to go had to wait 5 mins before he could start while the lead and harness were prepared. It is bits of useful information like this that really make the difference.

I really can't thank you enough for re-igniting me and I'm off in a minute to order a new tracking lead and collar.
    It was well worth the drive up from Dorset and if there are any North Dorset members who are up for some training and Stone is willing to oblige then I am 100% confident that I could organise a venue down here and provide Stone with free accommodation.

I will let the other members fill in their experiences
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Glad you had a.cracking day with Richard
    Been up myself a few years back a great learning curve
    regards pete

sounds like a great days learning to me ! just wish i was closer , and well done for organising it stone .

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I did tell him at the start of the day that I was completely useless with names.
    Quite honestly he's lucky I even got the first letter right.
    Sorry Robert or Richard or Stone or is it something else entirely
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    or is it something else entirely
    It usually is....

Sounds good. One of these days I'll be able to make it to one of these events!
    Well done Stone for organising it and sharing your knowledge around.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Firstly I'd like to thank Robert (aka Stone) for a great day tracking training on Sunday.
    The day started at 1pm, well nearly as there was a dog show nearby and a few wayward dog people found their way to us and had to be re-directed. It amused me to think what they would have made out dogs being encouraged to rag bits of deer skin and then knocking holes in the skin with a .22 rimfire.
    Introductions out of the way we started with a demonstration of Stones dog attempting a 30hr track. It brings home to you how rubbish the human nose really is when you see a dog smelling nothing more than foot scent that is over a day old and had had some heavy rain and a shower on it.
    Now I will freely admit to being a total novice when it comes to my dog. Don't get me wrong I have had other dogs and trained them but so far I just haven't got it with Dexter. I know he has a nose and i know he can track but this day was more about training the trainer than training the dog.
    Under Stones expert tuition it became apparent that Dexter did indeed have a nose. But my interpretation of what he was doing was woefully off. The signs are so subtle. Dexter did complete his 3/4 hr track despite wanting to go off and track a pheasant instead and that track in itself with guidance from Stone taught me some of the signs I need to be looking for.
    We followed other attending dogs during the day and gleaned various snippets of valuable information.
    Procedure before the track even starts was an excellent example. Sadly one track went completely awry when the dog lost interest because his lead and harness were not on before the tracker went to inspect the shot site. The dog then ready and waiting to go had to wait 5 mins before he could start while the lead and harness were prepared. It is bits of useful information like this that really make the difference.

I really can't thank you enough for re-igniting me and I'm off in a minute to order a new tracking lead and collar.
    It was well worth the drive up from Dorset and if there are any North Dorset members who are up for some training and Stone is willing to oblige then I am 100% confident that I could organise a venue down here and provide Stone with free accommodation.

I will let the other members
    fill in their experiences
    Ha ha ha
    nice one John...oops I mean Glynn..��
    really enjoyed the afternoon myself
    great bunch
    Just to clarify the demo track was the 48hr one and the second track we worked was 26/7hr old
    but the afternoon was about those that came
    it showed us all how working together we can make that difference
    and to share our ability and experience
    as it showed
    very good learning curve for all
    But you have really pleased me that your journey to the midlands has inspired you to endure with that cracking little dog of yours
    and Dexter is good
    the 2nd track showed just how good..
    will defo be up to doing a tracking day down your end in the near future
    Plus I will be able to see how you are getting on with Dexter
    Kind regards
    Richard

UKDTR. Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Quote Originally Posted by Roedinator View Post
    Glad you had a.cracking day with Richard
    Been up myself a few years back a great learning curve
    regards pete