Are variable power scopes worth having?

scotspine

I have a problem....when I close my eyes I see an image of a Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x56BT scope. I see it on my gun, replacing a perfectly adequate swaro 8x56. I imagine lining the scope up on a beast , then clicking the ballistic turret(it clicks in my dream) for a 225 yard shot , before zooming up to 12xpower and placing the crosshair on a half inch tuft of hair that neatly marks the perfect heart shot. BANG, my eyes open and my brain kicks into action and reminds me that I’ve never had a problem with the 8x56 plus it cost 3 times less than the Z6….bugger!

So, gentlemen, do I stick with what I’ve got or trade it in for the apple of my eye?

Regards

If you can afford it, want it and don't have any higher priority needs, then buy the thing. You aren't getting any younger......

Just make sure you get the illuminated version. :lol:

TBH I swaped my 8x56 S&B for a 6-24 x 50 IR IOR scope with target turrets. Whilst it is a great scope if v heavy I cant see me shooting any more deer with that than with my 8x56 but what it does do is help me print much tighter groups on paper!!

I have a S&B 6x42 on my other rifle and to be honest it is good enough for any stalking I do.

ATB

Dave

If it were me i would do it we only live once i shoot a vari Swarovski and love it. Zeroing in is a breeze up to 200mtrs and this helps keeping the groups tight as has been said . I don't use the zoom to often leaving the scope set mainly at 7x . But there have been one or two occasions were i have been able to set my self up and take that real long shot that needs extra zoom to pull off.

I have a Z6i 3-18x50 BT's IR, all the whistles and bells. I have it on my 260rem just now, though it will live on my 22/250 if the variation ever turns up.

No doubt it is a fantastic scope, particularly for a fox rifle.

To be honest, I think it is too busy for a deer rifle used under normal (ie 200m) ranges. I set the paralax for 150m, the mag at 8x, focus the reticule and then leave it alone. Once I get the 22/250, the Z6 is going on that and the Swaro PF 8x50 is going back on the 260. I see no need for all the extra's on a deer rifle.

Just do it, if you have the funds available, just do it, hence the reason I have a PM2 3-12x50 and a PM2 5-25x56.............

TJ

The way scope prices are now, especially Swarovski, I would save the money and stick with the 8x56, its what you know, the Z6i wont enable you to shoot any more beasties.

a 6x42 served me well for years, even on the hill, I only changed to a 1.5-6x42 but this was when scopes were a lot cheaper and was an all rounder inc woodland stalking. Thankfully the second hand market brings some bargains now and again and there are savings to be made.

JMO

Scots pine go and buy one you'll not be disappointed ,I have two of them which replaced two fixed power swarovski's haven't looked in any other direction since .

Always remember you can't take the cash with you theres no pockets in a shroud ,this ain't a rehearsal its a one way trip .

I wish I'd got one last year from Macleod's. £1275 at the time and Greggor warned me that the price was going to go through the roof.

I know deep down I don't need it but it would make shifting point of impact very simple plus target shooting more fun. I do plenty of night shooting so regularly flip from a 100yrd zreo to a 200yrd zero. The BT will make this a cinch. The turrets not too bulky either which helps as the gun spends most of the day on my back.

Do any other scope manufacturers do a ballistic turret?

regards

:)Just bumping this up:

I was using an air rifle the other day fitted with a 4-12X scope, I found having to play around with focusing rings and the zoom annoying, so I was thinking that when I get my first rifle I'll go for a fixed power scope, maybe 6x or 8x. My question is whould 8x make target aquisition difficult in field conditions? or is 6x magnification too low? (ill be mostly shooting roe and foxes).

Or should I persivere with a zoom scope because I'll grow to love it.

:)Just bumping this up:

I was using an air rifle the other day fitted with a 4-12X scope, I found having to play around with focusing rings and the zoom annoying, so I was thinking that when I get my first rifle I'll go for a fixed power scope, maybe 6x or 8x. My question is whould 8x make target aquisition difficult in field conditions? or is 6x magnification too low? (ill be mostly shooting roe and foxes).

Or should I persivere with a zoom scope because I'll grow to love it.

A lot of this will be down to personal preference.An 8 x scope will be better if you spend a lot of time in high seats. When you're out stalking a 6 x will make target aquisition easier. And no it's not too low. In my opinion.....

Scotspine,

I have previously only had variable scopes on the centre fire. I had Zeiss 3-12x56 and never used anything other than 8 mag when I took the shot. I now have an 8x56 S&B I love it and wouldn't go back to variable for the ranges I shoot... and I managed a carrion crow at 215 yards at the weekend. So it seems to work fine for me.

DC .270

Back