Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Speeding & Drinking

  1. #1

    Speeding & Drinking

    Following the cycling Thread.

    It it not time for a zero tolerance on driving after drink/ drugs and or speeding ? The existing rules are not working and IF a car is driven on any motorway at 70mph it will be overtaken by every other road user !
    If we are going to hammer Cyclists and Pedestrians.
    Then its only fair that car drivers are slowed down so how about any road in a town or village to 20mph reduce the National speed limit to 40mph and motorways to 60 mph.
    As for Drink/drugs if any is found in a blood sample the an automatic 5 year ban with no exceptions and the owners car would become the property of the crown to pay for the fine !
    Must be the most fair way as the current fine system affects the folk with the least income more than the rich. But rich folk don't drive cheap cars so would be fairly fined in proportion to a person of lesser income.

  2. #2
    i agree drink drive but 5 for rat faced is't long enough , don't agree the same for drugs!!! if they are dumb enough to take them banning them is like saying stop breathing which i find would be better as i hate them with a passion they are not bothered about the rules in the first place so police and court time is nothing to them

    rant over

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Following the cycling Thread.

    It it not time for a zero tolerance on driving after drink/ drugs and or speeding ? The existing rules are not working and IF a car is driven on any motorway at 70mph it will be overtaken by every other road user !
    If we are going to hammer Cyclists and Pedestrians.
    Then its only fair that car drivers are slowed down so how about any road in a town or village to 20mph reduce the National speed limit to 40mph and motorways to 60 mph.
    As for Drink/drugs if any is found in a blood sample the an automatic 5 year ban with no exceptions and the owners car would become the property of the crown to pay for the fine !
    Must be the most fair way as the current fine system affects the folk with the least income more than the rich. But rich folk don't drive cheap cars so would be fairly fined in proportion to a person of lesser income.
    Or, for the sake of a proper conversation on this, how about just letting people drive at any speed they choose, drink and do drugs too, if they wish, but punish them very severely if through their negligent acts they injure someone or damage anything?

    Let people take responsibility and hold them responsible if they mess up, rather than trying to micro-manage everything and make needless criminals out of most people. Because, as you have already said, the laws are being broken all the time and mostly without anything being done about it. Perhaps there is already too much law to police it all effectively, so why bother with more and more?

  4. #4
    sadly i hope no one has lost a child on hear to one of the scum as the punishment's given in the uk soft wishy washy system , it will never be enough or fit the crime. i do agree 70 on the motorway is to slow in the day and age .





    Quote Originally Posted by SL6.5 View Post
    Or, for the sake of a proper conversation on this, how about just letting people drive at any speed they choose, drink and do drugs too, if they wish, but punish them very severely if through their negligent acts they injure someone or damage anything?

    Let people take responsibility and hold them responsible if they mess up, rather than trying to micro-manage everything and make needless criminals out of most people. Because, as you have already said, the laws are being broken all the time and mostly without anything being done about it. Perhaps there is already too much law to police it all effectively, so why bother with more and more?

  5. #5
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Worcestershire/ Manchester
    Posts
    318
    Well I certainly agree with a no tolerance policy to drink driving, but speed limits are a little more difficult. IMHO I would be happy for motorways to have a 100mph speed limit as they have few hazards, no pedestrians and most everyone is going a similar speed. However, what does piss me off is when people go charging around at 60mph on country lanes and then when you ask them what they're doing they say, "well it's the limit!" Well... yes, but what if there was a rider or a cyclist or a child round the corner, or even another car, it's much to narrow to get past and you'd never stop in time. As with everything it's just common sense go the correct speed for the road conditions, and that isn't necessarily the limit. Stronger punishments should be in place for people who speed in towns though, the amount of bellends who go sailing past my old school at 3.45 on a friday at silly speeds is ridiculous.

  6. #6
    SD Regular teyhan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Posts
    2,330
    Blog Entries
    1
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Personally I think it's about time that the motorist got some protection from the other people that use the road.
    Horses that are not properly trained.
    Cyclists that pull out on you.
    Pedestrians that think its okay to wander about on the road.
    Thankfully we are generally a good bunch of drivers in the UK and like most things in life there are always some idiots.
    Take today, country lane I'm doing 40. Approaching a junction 1x cyclist pulls out and then his mate pulls out without looking. Missed him by less than 5m. If I had pulled out on him then I'd of no doubt had a gob full. If I'd hit him today then the police would have been scrutinising me not him and there were no witnesses other than his mate. No bloody apology or recognition that he'd been a ****, just cycled on in lycra pretending he's on the bloody Tour De France. Happens every year after the bloody tour comes to England. Fat middle aged somethings having a mid-life crisis and attempting to live life to the full on a bike, in lycra. "NO" (in the words of Harry Enfield).
    Untrained bloody horses round this way too. Attendant riders flapping there hands to tell you to slow down. I'll tell you what, if I stop then you get off your bloody horse and walk it. Or, they shout obscenities at you, like some sort of equine road rage. And when does a horse rider actually thank you. They do it as you are passing the horse, so unless your out in your soft top clad sports car what chance do you have of seeing a thank you...none.
    Fed up with people whinging about road users when sometimes they should be looking in the mirror.

    Drink/drugs yes, lowering speed limits NO

    I'll go put my hard hat on now and sit in a corner and calm down
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

  7. #7
    Get a life angry man...

  8. #8
    Drink driving is really a bit of a success story. For anyone who can go back to the seventies, they'll remember that it was pretty normal to drive home from the pub, sloshed. A lot of money went into advertising campaigns and police operations, especially around Christmas and the eventual result is that the general consensus now is that drink driving is considered very anti-social. The same applies to driving under the influence of drugs.

    Of course there will always be those that do it. Penalties still need to be high.

    Speeding is a bit different. Admittedly if you do silly speeds, you can be banned, fined horrendous amounts and even land up in prison for a wee spell. But being a bit over the limit (plus 10%) isn't seen as being bad. Let's face it. Everyone does it and a few quid and three points isn't a great deal. Even most insurance companies don't penalise you for one speeding ticket.

    To make speeding anti-social a few things would have to happen. Speed limits need to be realistic. There's so many roads where it is more than safe to go faster than the posted limit. We also need to get away from seeing speeding fines as merely a way of generating revenue for it to be taken seriously.

    But one of the main worries in my view about motorists who break the law is the police. The way police forces these days are being squeezed means that we see less and less of them. They have to prioritise and motoring is pretty low down the list there. Given time, I can see that all the work done with regard to serious motoring offences such as drink driving will be undone. Or are we already seeing the start of this?

  9. #9
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Worcestershire/ Manchester
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Drink driving is really a bit of a success story. For anyone who can go back to the seventies, they'll remember that it was pretty normal to drive home from the pub, sloshed. A lot of money went into advertising campaigns and police operations, especially around Christmas and the eventual result is that the general consensus now is that drink driving is considered very anti-social. The same applies to driving under the influence of drugs.

    Of course there will always be those that do it. Penalties still need to be high.

    Speeding is a bit different. Admittedly if you do silly speeds, you can be banned, fined horrendous amounts and even land up in prison for a wee spell. But being a bit over the limit (plus 10%) isn't seen as being bad. Let's face it. Everyone does it and a few quid and three points isn't a great deal. Even most insurance companies don't penalise you for one speeding ticket.

    To make speeding anti-social a few things would have to happen. Speed limits need to be realistic. There's so many roads where it is more than safe to go faster than the posted limit. We also need to get away from seeing speeding fines as merely a way of generating revenue for it to be taken seriously.

    But one of the main worries in my view about motorists who break the law is the police. The way police forces these days are being squeezed means that we see less and less of them. They have to prioritise and motoring is pretty low down the list there. Given time, I can see that all the work done with regard to serious motoring offences such as drink driving will be undone. Or are we already seeing the start of this?
    Very true. I was discussing this with my father a few weeks ago and we found that In his first 10 years of driving he was never once spot checked for alcohol or got a speeding ticket. At the time he regularly used to go out with friends for a few and drive home whilst under the influence. Now compare this to today. I have been driving for a year, have never once driven whilst drunk, and can't afford to get a speeding ticket because it will add £800 to my insurance and give me a 6 month ban for the first offence. I have also been breathalysed 3 times, once on new years eve, and twice whilst acting as 'designated driver' for friends. It's just the change in perceptions now that drink driving is entirely unacceptable and I don't know anyone my age who would even consider it, especially when the penalties and cost for new drivers are so draconian. Speeding on the other hand, you are right in saying that many roads have silly limits, there is one near me that is a 40 for mile after mile with no obvious reason why it isn't a 60. When it's like that it is tempting to get a bit of a shift on, especially when I am driving home from my evening shift around midnight with no one else in sight. in fact the only reason I don't is because i cannot work without my car or go out with friends, or shoot or do any of the things I enjoy so it's just not worth risking the loss of my license or big insurance hikes.

  10. #10
    It is high time all people took responsibility for what they do or have done in every walk of life. This includes motorists, cyclists, walkers, sofa sloths etc, it does not matter who you are or what you do. If you cock up then expect retribution from wherever, don't seek to make excuses or blame others.
    How's your end of the gene pool today?

Similar Threads

  1. Drinking wine
    By Mannlicher_Stu in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 08:46
  2. In favour of drinking...
    By Iwrch in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-09-2010, 21:37
  3. Off Subject Advice speeding
    By centralbeltstalker in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 21-05-2010, 18:04
  4. Speeding ticket
    By SWR in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-10-2007, 15:58
  5. Speeding
    By monynut in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 12:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •