Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 Hornet review and 250 yard gong shooting

.22 Hornet review and 250 yard gong shooting

If anyone is thinking about getting a .22 hornet this may be of some interest for you?

I took this video a while back and thought id upload it just to show and demonstrate how effective and accurate this little round can be.

Excellent accurate and performance from just 13.2 grains of powder.

Steve.

Steve,
    Excellent shooting! I am in your corner when it comes to the Hornet. Additionally, this past spring I was giving your long ago offered advice about the 40 grain VM some thought. I recently picked up 1000 of these bullets at a silly cheap price and decided that, since I single feed my Hornet for prairiedogs anyhow, I will give them a try. I like the 34 grain Dog Town bullets for my Hornet. They have a much higher BC than the 35 grain VM, but the 40 grain intrigued me. Your video was a fresh confirmation of the correctness of the switch. Can I ask you how deep you seat the bullets in your Hornet? A compressed charge, no doubt?~Muir.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Steve,
    Excellent shooting! I am in your corner when it comes to the Hornet. Additionally, this past spring I was giving your long ago offered advice about the 40 grain VM some thought. I recently picked up 1000 of these bullets at a silly cheap price and decided that, since I single feed my Hornet for prairiedogs anyhow, I will give them a try. I like the 34 grain Dog Town bullets for my Hornet. They have a much higher BC than the 35 grain VM, but the 40 grain intrigued me. Your video was a fresh confirmation of the correctness of the switch. Can I ask you how deep you seat the bullets in your Hornet? A compressed charge, no doubt?~Muir.

Hello mate,

yeh the 40 vmax has the best combination of BC and velocity. Like you say they are long and have to be single loaded or modify the mag. My OAL is 1.800" which is 0.015" of the lands.

This is a compressed load too.

glad you enjoyed the video.

Steve.

Hi Steve.. good shooting. Looks and sounds windy there too.
    What scope is that on the rifle?.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Hi Steve.. good shooting. Looks and sounds windy there too.
    What scope is that on the rifle?.

Hi mate, thanks for the comment, and yeh it can get quite windy up there!

the scope I'm using is an MTC Viper with the SCB illuminated reticule.

Steve.

I am a big fan of the hornet. Nice shooting too, was curious how far it would stretch in windy conditions. I don't shoot mine further than bout 150 meters.
    Wes.

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    Hello mate,

yeh the 40 vmax has the best combination of BC and velocity. Like you say they are long and have to be single loaded or modify the mag. My OAL is 1.800" which is 0.015" of the lands.

This is a compressed load too.

glad you enjoyed the video.

Steve.
    Thanks for the seating depth info:About what I figured. I really do prefer the option of magazine feeding but these 40 grain should be fun.~Muir

Nice shooting dude, wish I never sold my hornet,

Great shooting with the Hornet there 247, got mine as my 1st rifle last year love it to bits it's an old (1941) savage stevens 19h sporter, shoots straight as an arrow with all the ammo I've tried in it, especially privi. Going to start home loading later this year hopefully and see what it is capable of on the further distances.

Scoby 270

Quote Originally Posted by scoby270 View Post
    Great shooting with the Hornet there 247, got mine as my 1st rifle last year love it to bits it's an old (1941) savage stevens 19h sporter, shoots straight as an arrow with all the ammo I've tried in it, especially privi. Going to start home loading later this year hopefully and see what it is capable of on the further distances.

Scoby 270

Nice one mate, get reloading and let us know how you get on buddy.

Steve.