Look at the Seeland Woodcock. I have their breeks and they are great. Unfortunately the trousers are too long and baggy for my spindly legs, so bought a pair of Harkila Mountain - but they are not waterproof.

Harkila pro hunters.
I have had quite a few pairs of ''waterproof'' trousers and these are the only ones I have bought a second pair of.
Yes they are expensive and it was a leap of faith when I bought them at first but after four years use they still are waterproof and wearing well.
Why the second pair?, they were bought for me by my wife so she could wash the ones I was continually wearing.

Regards

Lapua 243

You could however buy 3 or 4 pairs of most normal trousers for the price of Pro Hunters - and I doubt the expensive ones will last 3 or 4 times as long as the cheap ones? Although they do look nice. Guess it depends on budget and what the OP wants to spend!

I have both Deerhunter and Harkila Pro Hunter. The Harkilas are great in the cooler weather and entirely waterproof etc. not that cheap though as has been said, but from October I'll be wearing them every day!
(wish my wife would get me a second pair!)

We would definately recommend Harkila Pro-Hunter. They are designed for stalking and will take as much crawling as required. Woodcock etc are designed for standing and walking, not crawling.
Key Product Info: Gore-Tex membrane, so wash as required with non bio liquid detergent, without conditioner. if you use Bio Powder then the welded seams will start to fail and if you use conditioner then this blocks the micropore and the membrane will not breath.
Pro Hunter Face Cloth on the Trousers is Cordura, which will withstand abrasion, cotton and polycotton blends will not.
The Trousers have brace buttons, so get a pair of braces, this is really important when crawling as it holds the trousers in place and stops the downward creap.
Avoid buying second hand, unless you know that the previous owner has washed them correctly
Wet Out: You must, as with all Gore-tex and other waterproof garments, reproof the outershell when wet out starts. Wet out is normal and can be easily confused with leaks.
Read our Blog about waterproofing
Re-proofing Clothing FAQ | Rugged s Blog
Sizes: Waist, Hips and Thighs: Pretty good fit to normal, but worth trying a pair on. Inside leg measurement: Measure from your inside crotch to the ankle bone, this leg length is important. If they are too long, then you will end up bunching up on your boots, too short, even though they have ankle straps, will ride up over your boots.
We do free postage and free returns, so if the size is not right, you can always swap them without postage costs.
Harkila Trousers The brand that Exudes Authenticity and Quality
We also price match too, so if you find a cheaper deal we will match it both in store and also online.

If you want to talk through the options, feel free to call the store on 01525 211488 and Brendan will be able to talk you through the ranges

Spookily it was from the shop above I bought the Harkila Mountain Trek last week after much deliberation and finding the Woodcocks did not fit. My budget did not stretch to a pair of Pro Hunters.

Friendly, helpful staff - I definitely recommend Rugged and Tough.

Spookily it was from the shop above I bought the Harkila Mountain Trek last week after much deliberation and finding the Woodcocks did not fit. My budget did not stretch to a pair of Pro Hunters.

Friendly, helpful staff - I definitely recommend Rugged and Tough.

Many thanks for the Thumbs Up Karlbird, much appreciated.

What are the needs over there? Waterproof? Briar proof? Quiet? Padded knees?

In the US, what works in one terrain and weather is useless in another. Thorns and rocks are terrible in some areas.

If there are no thorns, but it is wet, I wear a pair of lightweight waterproof over pants, on top of anything from cotton milsurp to heavy wool trousers, or fleece wader liners, depending on the temperature.

Has anyone tried any of the Laksen offerings?

(sorry to resurrect an old thread but was having this discussion the other day and am due to be doing more woodland stalking in the next few months and could do with something that crinkles less).

ATB,

Scrummy

Back