Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A knife down memory lane

A knife down memory lane

I had posted before about some of the wonderful carbon steel knife blades I bought over 40 years ago from William Rogers of Sheffield, for my next step up in knife making. That got me to looking for Rogers knives and Taylor knives for sale.

I found this wonderful, light and balanced dagger by Rogers, made for pilots during WWII, before they got contracts for the Fairbairn Sikes dagger. I think this and the Taylor dagger are better than the F-S.
    It is not like the Bo Randall knives of the era, which were made to order for P-51 pilots in Jacksonville, Florida, and stamped with their name on the blades, not his...but it is a piece of history.
    Attachment 44568

Nice blade , but I still like my FS . They are all a piece of history worth preserving .

AB

Oh, yes., no flies on the F-S, a bigger, meaner dagger than this. The early ones, with leather and wire wrapped handles, are artful.

My Rogers came out of Canada, from a pilot. I got two in the same batch.

I collect all these sorts of things, not on any plan, but what I like, which half the time means it has a connection to me, my father ( a pilot in Africa and CBI ) or my uncle ( a pilot in the 8th out of England).

A lovely knife , have just been refurbishing a rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Oh, yes., no flies on the F-S, a bigger, meaner dagger than this. The early ones, with leather and wire wrapped handles, are artful.

My Rogers came out of Canada, from a pilot. I got two in the same batch.

I collect all these sorts of things, not on any plan, but what I like, which half the time means it has a connection to me, my father ( a pilot in Africa and CBI ) or my uncle ( a pilot in the 8th out of England).
    Where Abouts was your uncle stationed I stalk on one now abandoned 8 th airforce base and we have many others in the area .
    regards
    norma

Well that's just filled in some blanks! When I was a kid I was given one of those to use as a fishing knife by my grandad, never questioned it's original purpose. Gutted now though as I lost it while fishing in France on a summer holiday one year, wish I still had it. Really not sure what my parents were thinking letting a 10 yr old out with a dagger but hey, I behaved. Fond flashback. Thank you.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Blog Entries
    I have a wonderful old William Rogers Scout knife that belonged to my Dad as a boy.

Watch out though because this brand has been resurrected by an unscrupulous maker called Tom Noble and sometimes James Noble and a heap of other alias through which he sells poor quality knives in the guise of handmade blades.

I have one and the grinds wrong, handles poor and the leather sheath is unsealed. It's rubbish. Carrys the mark William Rogers, I cut my way
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Very nice indeed ! Does anyone use a double edged blade like this or a FS in the field ??

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Where Abouts was your uncle stationed I stalk on one now abandoned 8 th airforce base and we have many others in the area .
    regards
    norma
    I will have to ask my cousin about all the spots. My uncle was a private instructor when the war started, so he had a head start. Trained with my father under Bevo Howard, the world air acrobatic champion. Uncle Lawrence was probably too valuable to fly combat. He did recon for Curtis LeMay, then later for Jimmy Doolittle. And as new planes came over, he learned to fly them and taught others.

He remained in and became a Colonel, and went back to England several times as a small base commander. He was a base commander stateside, too, when I was a boy. So I will get the answers for you. My aunt and mother went back to England years ago and stayed on some huge estate in the country, in a guest house, where one of the bases had been. The family who owned the land was thrilled to have them.

Deerstalker and NorthDorset:

Yes, there are some wonderful Scout knives and hunters camp knives made by Rogers in the 1950s and 1960s. They made swords for the Navy, and for the Confederacy during the Civil War here, and Bowie and camp knives for pioneers and soldiers in the 1860s.

There are several variations of this dagger, in handle material. This one I show has a pewter pommel. The sheath is very delicate, too. I had to put on some museum leather preservative and let it sit a while. To carry this dagger, I would make a replica sheath.

I will take some photos of another British knife, a camp knife from Burma, in a little while. It is on my phone.