Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun dog/ deer dog

Gun dog/ deer dog

Or8 lads just wondering if any off you have a deer dog that would work on game aswell as deer or would it just make the dog point/ hunt pheasants or any other game bird/ rabbit cheers in advance walshy

Yes I have GWP X GSP that's an all rounder, don't think they will ever be quite as good on deer as a dedicated deer dog,however to be honest how often do we really need a deer dog if its only for yourself likely not that often, I know that mine would not get much work if he was used purely on deer.

The only thing I would suggest , if you want it to do dual work train it on deer first , if you start them on game first then they seem to get distracted by other scents to the detriment of tracking deer, just my opinion and what I have found to be the case no real proof to back it up though

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Yes I have GWP X GSP that's an all rounder, don't think they will ever be quite as good on deer as a dedicated deer dog,however to be honest how often do we really need a deer dog if its only for yourself likely not that often, I know that mine would not get much work if he was used purely on deer.

The only thing I would suggest , if you want it to do dual work train it on deer first , if you start them on game first then they seem to get distracted by other scents to the detriment of tracking deer, just my opinion and what I have found to be the case no real proof to back it up though
    Cheers for reply bog trotter I've a ess that I use for game shooting and under my bird but her work is pretty much the same apart from the retrieve walshy

thats spot on i would say bogtrotter , i have a whv that i use on everything , good at them all but not as good as an out and out one dog job type if that makes sense , i dont do enough to have a dog devoted to one discipline , it comes out twice a week stalking , then from 12 aug is out at every opertunity , every weekend and more through the week , it even runs the trap line now it nows where they are and will point before i get there !but when out with the rifle it switches over to stalking mode

What would you say is a good breed/cross for deer an other game I know everyone will have there favourite but is there a more not desirable but preferred breed walshy

Korthals griffon.
    A proven all rounder.
    Widley used in Europe and the states, a good few over hear now if you know where to look.

So long as it has an interest in finding/fetching it will be of some use for you. This one would fetch/find anything asked of him, that day we dropped a fish off the hook when landing so he whent in for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05608.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	499.7 KB 
ID:	44585
    Last edited by .25-06; 15-07-2014 at 21:23.

You need look no further than the common or garden Labrador. Train it for your main interest first and the other only once solid on their primary use. Mine is deer, so she didn't get chance at the birds till she was 3. General retrieving work from a pup is no problem with dummies and tennis balls though. That's just a fun game to them. It's exposure to other game too early that's the problem.

Wolfie

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    You need look no further than the common or garden Labrador. Train it for your main interest first and the other only once solid on their primary use. Mine is deer, so she didn't get chance at the birds till she was 3. General retrieving work from a pup is no problem with dummies and tennis balls though. That's just a fun game to them. It's exposure to other game too early that's the problem.

Wolfie
    What is your dog like on birds? My labrador is trained as a normal peg/trialling type dog which she is very good at but she has no inclination to look for deer. She couldn't give a monkeys about them! I often wonder how she would be if she was trained to track deer first.

My pointer is mad keen to find/hunt/kill/fetch anything that was once alive and preferably fluffy or feathery.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

I would look to get a decent bred wire, once they are trained up they will find and retrieve anything, good all round dog.

their a bit big and boisterous but worth the effort

phil