Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Can't Vets be Honest Lost my Little Girl Today

Why Can't Vets be Honest Lost my Little Girl Today

My little Border Terrier started drinking loads of water and peeing constantly and went of her food. I rang the vet fearing kidney failure as she was 12 going on 13 November 6th. I took her in on Friday early am the vet said it could be urinary infection and took blood sample. Vet rang me back Friday pm stating that it was urinary infection and an op to remove her whomb would sort the problem I agreed thinking that I would have her for a while longer. The vet rang Friday late pm to say op had gone ok and she was to be kept in over weekend. Yesterday am vet rang to say she's now fine come and collect her but to me she wasn't right but thought the op had knocked her about a bit and that the proffessional was right and that she would be fine in few days. She deteriorated overnight and first thing this morning I rang the vet and the vet said her kidneys have failed bring her in to be put to sleep. Having had my hopes built up to loosing my little girl in less than a day to say that I am devastated, gutted and in bits is an understatement. Can't see me ever trusting a vet again.

Jimbo

Really sorry to hear that I know how you feel my wee terrier had been operated on several times about 4 years ago as she had a bad stomach 870 later they told me there wasn't anything wrong with her she just needed her feed soaked.

stacey

An expensive and sad lesson.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

thats a bad deal jimbo , sorry for you ,like you said why on earth dont they say 'its time i 'm afraid'.atb arron.

been down the same road with vets they advised my lab to be put down and after blood test after blood test day after day they said it would be advisable to put her to sleep and by this time she was not well but we still did not get to know what was wrong with her and they charged 600 for that.

I'm sorry for your loss Jimbo
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.

It can be a very upsetting time losing a pet and sometimes it is easy to blame someone else. Unfortunately bad stuff happens after surgery that even the best vet or doctor cannot predict. If the vet diagnosed a urinary infection as you suggest then he would not have removed her womb. If you did not understand this when it was explained to you then there may be other stuff that you may have missed when talking with the vet. This can be perfectly understandable when you are stressed. When you feel better give the vet a call and ask him/her to explain what happened. If the womb was removed it is likely she had a pyometra, an infection in the womb which would never have occurred if she had been spayed. You made the choice not to spay her and it seems as though the vet did so as soon as he was presented with the problem - hardly his fault - and in what way was he dishonest?

Quote Originally Posted by Dama View Post
    It can be a very upsetting time losing a pet and sometimes it is easy to blame someone else. Unfortunately bad stuff happens after surgery that even the best vet or doctor cannot predict. If the vet diagnosed a urinary infection as you suggest then he would not have removed her womb. If you did not understand this when it was explained to you then there may be other stuff that you may have missed when talking with the vet. This can be perfectly understandable when you are stressed. When you feel better give the vet a call and ask him/her to explain what happened. If the womb was removed it is likely she had a pyometra, an infection in the womb which would never have occurred if she had been spayed. You made the choice not to spay her and it seems as though the vet did so as soon as he was presented with the problem - hardly his fault - and in what way was he dishonest?
    So was it Jimbos fault for not having her spayed? NO! A lot of vets are like dentists, fill a tooth twice, then root canal, anything but pull it out, when that's what's probably needed. All the time that tooths in your mouth they'll make money out of it! Same with old dogs that really need putting to sleep, let's take some blood, x rays, biopsies etc, make me sick! Some vets have dogs best interest at heart, most don't ! By the way, not a vet are you?

Very sorry for your loss Jimbo and in a appalling way as well ,it's hard to trust some vets ,Not quite the same but are kitten came in one night last month and it couldn't put one of its legs down so we thought that we would take him to the vets with the idea that if it was broken we would have him put to sleep. My wife took him down and ask if they thought by feeling him they could see if it was broken the reply was that's not how it works they would need to take several xrays and go on from there my wife asked how much that would cost, and it was going to be quite a few hundred pounds ,she phone me at work and told what had been said ,I told her to get some pain relief and we will take are Chances,well They got really snooty with her and after a heated debate they gave us the pain relief and in not so many words told her that she shouldn't have animals and was told it was best that she left 80 for that service. The cat made a full recovery and is fit as a FIDDLE
    Last edited by berg; 16-07-2014 at 11:07.

That's sad Jimbo and not what you'd expect with a routine pyometra. I can understand your sadness after an initially successful op, but then complications setting in as I've been in that position as a vet. From your post I don't think that your vet has been dishonest, as most dogs with a pyo will recover really well, regardless of age. However, if she had underlying kidney problems, the infection could make that worse and the anaesthetic might have exacerbated the problem. Blood tests are helpful but even failing kidneys can still give a normal result. I know that won't help greatly in this situation, you have my sympathies.