Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit condition

Rabbit condition

Just got in from a little tidy up of some eighty rabbits, had an order for forty decent head shot rabbits

Done all that gralloching etc, when sorting through, to pick out the weighty ones for the order, there was a distinct lack of weight on all of the rabbits, the ground was mixed meadow grass and silage grass or hay in cracking condition cut a short while ago with plenty of decent new growth everywhere, perfect for mr Rabbit I would have thought.

The fields during the monsoon season took a watery pasting, it's got me thinking the rabbits although the numbers are there as they should be for July, May have had a really rough time getting food and haven't put a lot of excess weight, normally this area produces good solid rabbits.

any other areas affected ? Or any thoughts

atb

phil

only rabbits I am seeing are 3/4 size at the moment
    I am convinced we have had an outbreak of VHD though

there are very few, I suspect these ones are survivors, decent enough condition just small

rabbits near me are on there third or fourth young so they are all sizes from small palm sized newbies to fully grown everywhere too,i suspect they will get thinned out tho when all the cuttings done ,buzzards / fox /me ,etc atb doug,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    only rabbits I am seeing are 3/4 size at the moment
    I am convinced we have had an outbreak of VHD though

there are very few, I suspect these ones are survivors, decent enough condition just small
    VHD has definitely been through Braids/Hermitage area. Only bunnies on Craigmillar are 3/4 size, and there are probably 10% of the numbers there were a year ago.

West side of the city had VHD 2 years ago and is bouncing back with a vengeance - 17 in under an hour the other night, all in perfect condition.

The rabbits around here are as you'd expect three or four different sizes, doesn't appear to be a gap in the breeding cycles.
    They would have had to have been in condition to breed, pretty sure it can't be numbers combined with lack of good grazing.

i haven't seen any signs of disease or damage, carcasses are in excellent condition, seeing as the glass is always half full, and never half empty, it's a good job they don't buy em by weight

ATB

phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    VHD has definitely been through Braids/Hermitage area. Only bunnies on Craigmillar are 3/4 size, and there are probably 10% of the numbers there were a year ago.

West side of the city had VHD 2 years ago and is bouncing back with a vengeance - 17 in under an hour the other night, all in perfect condition.

this was over in Corstorpine
    zero on braids

No problems in my part of Kent.
    Shooting once a week and taking 50ish a time
    Onto a 4th "hatch" now so may get a 5th before the nights draw in
    No illness yet and all a reasonable size/weight.

Also taken 2 dog foxes and 4 cubs this week

Did you see any abnormalities at all, in the gutting stage of the eighty rabbits, we get a few odds & sods that can be quite concerning, I stopped gutting bunnies in the headlamp beam years ago, after seeing some wierd things falling out of bunny carcases.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Did you see any abnormalities at all, in the gutting stage of the eighty rabbits, we get a few odds & sods that can be quite concerning, I stopped gutting bunnies in the headlamp beam years ago, after seeing some wierd things falling out of bunny carcases.
    Haven't really found much abnormal bits, given the amount I get through a year, I always take the nose as a good indication of a bad un, always have a look at anything that's looks / smells bit iffy.

i normally gralloch straight into a big bucket with a rubble sack in it then seal of with a tie and the deal is the zoo incinerates it for me when I drop off the rabbits at .50 p each keeps it all tidy and an eye on the gralloch just in casey

atb

phil

19/20 sun night while looking for deer signs,dont ask!! all good clean 3/4 grown,mmmmmm
    DONT START