Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Has anyone done the BSRC Chamois Shoot?

  1. #1

    Has anyone done the BSRC Chamois Shoot?

    Hello any fellow BSRC members! I see in the club calendar that on Sunday 7th September is the annual Chamois Shoot on short Siberia. Now remarkably, I can probably actually make that event. But I'm not quite sure what it entails apart from shooting at a chamois-shaped target at a longer range than we usually do. Could someone please let me know what's involved, and also how many rounds I would need? Thanks!

  2. #2
    You have to run up and down the mountains of Surrey three times with a rucksac on your back then shoot at a chamois target 600 yards away uphill while still out of breath.


    Oh I forgot to mention only single shot or stutzen rifles allowed, so you are in with a chance there mate.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  3. #3
    I'm not sure I can handle Mount Brookwood... Glad I have the right gear though!

  4. #4
    I believe you start locked in the target shed, escape and then identify a safe route to the 200 yard point on Short Siberia, fight off a number of other clubs who are engaged in cross lane shooting onto the 100 metre targets. The chamois will appear by magic. Avoid shooting the roebuck(live) which stood at the 50 metre point the other day and dared me to shoot him! Shoot chamois, apply disguise and depart to suitable location to consider score.

  5. #5

    I believe the course of fire is as follows and with no sighters/zeroing:

    a. 5 rounds prone using a small day sack as support and without "coming up for air" once you’ve taken aim. There may be a time limit of 60 seconds but I cannot recall.

    b. 5 rounds sitting or kneeling with aid of a SINGLE stick and that does not resemble something an orthopaedic surgeon might issue.

    K

    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 04-09-2014 at 10:20.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagdmatch View Post
    I believe you start locked in the target shed, escape and then identify a safe route to the 200 yard point on Short Siberia, fight off a number of other clubs who are engaged in cross lane shooting onto the 100 metre targets. The chamois will appear by magic. Avoid shooting the roebuck(live) which stood at the 50 metre point the other day and dared me to shoot him! Shoot chamois, apply disguise and depart to suitable location to consider score.
    This element has now officially been dropped but if you still feel a little pre-match exercise would help calm the nerves before engaging the most accommodating goat there is every opportunity to start one’s day in the Butts (marking) and then sprint back to the 200 Firing Point.

    Good luck to all those BSRC members taking part this Sunday and may your single stick be inflexible and resolute.

    K

  7. #7
    I'm really quite annoyed as I wanted to do this last year, but it was cancelled, and this year I have to prioritise the range day on the 14th to test my reloads. Shirking parental duties two weekends in a row is not a viable domestic choice unfortunately. Hopefully once I have my loads worked out, I can swap range days for more amusing events.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post

    I believe the course of fire is as follows and with no sighters/zeroing:

    a. 5 rounds prone using a small day sack as support and without "coming up for air" once you’ve taken aim. There may be a time limit of 60 seconds but I cannot recall.

    b. 5 rounds sitting or kneeling with aid of a SINGLE stick and that does not resemble something an orthopaedic surgeon might issue.

    K

    And how far away is the chammy while you're chooting?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    And how far away is the chammy while you're chooting?
    Muir will confirm as he regularly deploys his 22 Hornet at this distance.

    K

  10. #10
    200 yards'ish
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. Scope magnification for running boar/deer (BSRC ranges)
    By Pine Marten in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 31-01-2013, 11:00
  2. Gemse/Chamois
    By Conor1 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 30-09-2012, 16:04
  3. Chamois
    By baconbutty in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-05-2012, 14:41
  4. Chamois Hunting
    By groach1234 in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29-07-2011, 09:40
  5. The Ashes match at Bisley. BSRC.
    By dodgyrog in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-09-2010, 13:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •