Has anyone done the BSRC Chamois Shoot?

Pine Marten

Hello any fellow BSRC members! I see in the club calendar that on Sunday 7th September is the annual Chamois Shoot on short Siberia. Now remarkably, I can probably actually make that event. But I'm not quite sure what it entails apart from shooting at a chamois-shaped target at a longer range than we usually do. Could someone please let me know what's involved, and also how many rounds I would need? Thanks!

You have to run up and down the mountains of Surrey three times with a rucksac on your back then shoot at a chamois target 600 yards away uphill while still out of breath. :rofl:

Oh I forgot to mention only single shot or stutzen rifles allowed, so you are in with a chance there mate.

I believe you start locked in the target shed, escape and then identify a safe route to the 200 yard point on Short Siberia, fight off a number of other clubs who are engaged in cross lane shooting onto the 100 metre targets. The chamois will appear by magic. Avoid shooting the roebuck(live) which stood at the 50 metre point the other day and dared me to shoot him! Shoot chamois, apply disguise and depart to suitable location to consider score.

I believe the course of fire is as follows and with no sighters/zeroing:

a. 5 rounds prone using a small day sack as support and without "coming up for air" once you’ve taken aim. There may be a time limit of 60 seconds but I cannot recall.

b. 5 rounds sitting or kneeling with aid of a SINGLE stick and that does not resemble something an orthopaedic surgeon might issue.

K

Last edited:
I believe you start locked in the target shed, escape and then identify a safe route to the 200 yard point on Short Siberia, fight off a number of other clubs who are engaged in cross lane shooting onto the 100 metre targets. The chamois will appear by magic. Avoid shooting the roebuck(live) which stood at the 50 metre point the other day and dared me to shoot him! Shoot chamois, apply disguise and depart to suitable location to consider score.

This element has now officially been dropped but if you still feel a little pre-match exercise would help calm the nerves before engaging the most accommodating goat there is every opportunity to start one’s day in the Butts (marking) and then sprint back to the 200 Firing Point.

Good luck to all those BSRC members taking part this Sunday and may your single stick be inflexible and resolute.

K

I'm really quite annoyed as I wanted to do this last year, but it was cancelled, and this year I have to prioritise the range day on the 14th to test my reloads. Shirking parental duties two weekends in a row is not a viable domestic choice unfortunately. Hopefully once I have my loads worked out, I can swap range days for more amusing events.

I believe the course of fire is as follows and with no sighters/zeroing:

a. 5 rounds prone using a small day sack as support and without "coming up for air" once you’ve taken aim. There may be a time limit of 60 seconds but I cannot recall.

b. 5 rounds sitting or kneeling with aid of a SINGLE stick and that does not resemble something an orthopaedic surgeon might issue.

K

And how far away is the chammy while you're chooting?

I will come down at some point on Sunday. Might be the afternoon though as I'm out of town til possibly late on Sunday so don't know if I'll need a lie in. Will zero my .22lr then use the club .22lr to shoot some running boar as my .22lr isn't conditioned for target shooting as I'm only a probationary member (how moronic).

Can I zero my other rifles with expanding ammo there (.223 and 9.3x62) does anyone know?

I'm reviving last year's thread here as I'm planning to go this Sunday, finally, and thought I would try my luck to see whether anyone from in or around London is going who may be kind enough to meet up somewhere convenient for them for a lift some of the way. If not, I'll just have to turn up a bit late...

Back