Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Roe in wintertime

Smile Feeding Roe in wintertime

Hi all

has anyone had success feeding Roe over the wintertime.If so on what? any tips on types of feeders?
    some of the does we shot last year were in pretty poor condition,also a lot of does this year with single fawn at foot,some with none.

rgds

Might be time to look at your management plan again, perhaps increase your doe cull if the ground can't support them

Quote Originally Posted by Akeld View Post
    Might be time to look at your management plan again, perhaps increase your doe cull if the ground can't support them
    But also bear in mind that fawn mortality seems to be on the increase with Roe in certain areas. An interesting article in Deer magazine recently is suggesting climate change and Roe not being able to adjust birthing time to the earlier onset of spring vegetation growth. I have a few questions about this myself but it is worth thinking about. Less deer overall might leave more food to go around but over culling combined with increase mortality of kids may leave the population struggling to recover. Depends on your ground and surrounding areas as well though.

These are what you need work they work a treat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0023.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	44669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0067.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	465.0 KB 
ID:	44670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0078.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	621.2 KB 
ID:	44671

Cheers for the pics mate.what are they.they look like some kind of drainage pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by Double four View Post
    These are what you need work they work a treat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0023.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	44669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0067.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	465.0 KB 
ID:	44670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0078.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	621.2 KB 
ID:	44671
    Hi Double four, I'd love to find out some more about these feeders, they look great. Do you have anymore details? Cheers

WH

Quote Originally Posted by HIGHSEATMAN View Post
    Cheers for the pics mate.what are they.they look like some kind of drainage pipes?
    Quote Originally Posted by White Hart View Post
    Hi Double four, I'd love to find out some more about these feeders, they look great. Do you have anymore details? Cheers

WH

I haven't watched the video yet, but that's the biggest asthma inhaler I've ever seen!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    I haven't watched the video yet, but that's the biggest asthma inhaler I've ever seen!
    You'd need a "big mouth" to suck on that ! TT
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

I made one using one of these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roof.../sd2868/p82113

and an off cut of the black corrugated pipe used for burying cables in. That I got from some council contractors as an offcut for free and made a lid from an old plant pot. Not the smartest but it was the cheapest.

The only downside I have found is that squirrels love eating the corn but rather than sit on the funnel and eat it they choose to chew through the lid, the sides, anything just to ruin it. At least it gives me some fun with the HMR though, picked off 5 in an hour last time I was out.