Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 270wsm

270wsm

What's your thoughts..!
    i have been looking at getting a bigger caliber than my .243
    something that I can use for stalking all deer and pigs if I get the chance
    looked at 708,6.5x55,260..
    but I have been offered a new T3 in stainless in 270WSM It reads really well just wondered what you all thought

Tikka595

Top calibre, plenty of guts in a short package, flat shooting, soft on the shoulder. What's not to like, it's awesome!
    Last edited by Jager SA; 17-07-2014 at 18:10.

Different. Short cartridge in a long action, so the T3 magazine has a filler block.

The recoil with a 150gr bullet will be the same as a standard 7mm RM (150gr) as case capacity & loads are much the same.

There won't be a heavy 175gr load as there is in the 7mm RM. ..... and ammo availability will be a problem if you don't handload.

I can see why the shop would want to shift it ....but if you fancy it then why not?
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I have no problem getting ammo for mine ! Gregor mcloud stocks it ! Bushwear stocks it ! Swillington stocks it ! Chris from swillingtons even shoots one ! Great calibre stags hate it drops them on the spot

i have a set of redding dies for it if you want. it's an awesome caliber!
    callum ferguson builds my rifles, because he is the best and i'm worth it....

I must admit that I've never been a 270 man. But after watching Franz Oettingen Spielberg, the 270 certainly was worth a second look. Agreed he's a super shot and......... But the 270 seems to do it. On youtube there are New Zealand guys (outfitters) that seem to have lot's of confidence in the 270. Lot's of their clients use the 270 with good results. This at long range on very decent stags.
    If I would live in the Highlands and local stags would be my goal, a normal 270 would be my rifle. But weeks ago I came to the conclusion that a 270 WSM with a good premium bullet must be a tremendous versatile rifle on reasonable sized game. ( 130/150 grain Nosler Partition , A-Frame or Barnes TTSX)
    Which "high seat" boar will survive a well placed Barnes TTSX or Nosler Partition launched at 270 WSM velocities? Whatever size he has. The same for stags, Antelope,...... in the 100-300 kg class.
    As velocity is high a strong, premium bullet will be needed to prevent carcass dammage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka595 View Post
    What's your thoughts..!
    i have been looking at getting a bigger caliber than my .243
    something that I can use for stalking all deer and pigs if I get the chance
    looked at 708,6.5x55,260..
    but I have been offered a new T3 in stainless in 270WSM It reads really well just wondered what you all thought

Tikka595
    You might have a better selection of bullets in a 7mm calibre . . . just a thought.

You didn't say what type of deer or stalking you are doing but as far as standard factory .270 Win loads go I will not allow their use on anything smaller than Fallow as they cause too much meat damage irrespective of all the premium or non premium bullets we have tried. However hand loaded reduced loads work well. Bearing that in mind, 270WSM, fine if your shooting long range all the time on large animals but . . . well I'll leave you to work that out!

Despite possible ballistic attributes, I would steer away from the WSM's. Here, rifles are being sold at give away prices, as is the brass. I don't think WSMs are long for the shooting world. JMHO ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Despite possible ballistic attributes, I would steer away from the WSM's. Here, rifles are being sold at give away prices, as is the brass. I don't think WSMs are long for the shooting world. JMHO ~Muir
    I concur!
    I don't think the "short magnums" offered anything other than a belt less case, which was insignificant to those of us us who head spaced off the shoulder anyway on existing magnums. Not to mention the poor feeding from the new rounds & actions, & the inability to duplicate the "old" magnum ballistics. I have no doubt that the "magnum" rounds that existed before the short magnums will still be popular long after the short magnums have been dropped.

Cheers Sharkey

Some of the short magnums are pretty good, but the advertised velocities of the .300 WSM, for example, are the same as the .300 WM used to be when it was loaded to the same pressure. Simple physics. And it is not new. Charles Newton was selling his .30 Newton short magnum almost 90 years ago, before there were scopes on rifles.

The 7mm WSM and 7mm SAUM are probably the best of the short mags, and they had the least interest and shortest run.

I know some users of the .270 WSM, but they are sheep hunters and guides, who want every extra bit of reach, but don't need a heavy 7mm or .30-caliber bullet. I am not knocking it, just saying it is a niche cartridge, for something like sheep and goat hunting, which will fit into a lightweight Tikka or Sako stainless rifle. But the skill of the rifleman has to be there, and if he has it, he can make the same shot with the same effect, using a .270 Win, .280, 7x64 or .30-06.