Thread: Basset Fauve de Bretagne

Basset Fauve de Bretagne

Does anyone on here work these interesting dogs?
    I know a bloke who has one as a rehomed dog and he (the dog) is obsessed with scent of any kind and goes everywhere with his nose glued to the ground.

I have a mate who is on his second. He uses it for driven roe, Scandinavian style. The first went through the ice 2 autumns ago and drowned unfortunately. Also have a mate who uses PBGV on roe and red deer. I will post a pic at a later date.

- http://www.abucs.be/divers_video_001.html#.U8lsINKKC70

Watch this dog on track. A member of ABUCS tracking wounded game. The menu shows a few tracking operations. Open this small menu ad look for Basset Fauve de Bretagne.
    Last edited by Hales Smut; 18-07-2014 at 18:54.

If they track like a Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen then they'll be ace. My old Petit (now long gone) was a brilliant tracker BUT they are born to hunt.
    Tibbits? Pah, no chance when on the hunt. Come back? Got to be kidding.

Miss the little bugger but not the pulling when on scent.

Border: sorry to hear of the demise of your friends' dog I hope his replacement has more luck. Driven roe with shotgun or rifle?
    Hales Smut: I enjoyed the video, thanks for posting it. Are these dogs very popular in your area?
    Barkingsnake: I know exactly what you mean! I only met the bloke with the BFdeB when he lost his dog in thick gorse and heather.....I helped him find it again with help from my terrier. Great looking dogs with loads of character

That's the only pic I could find unfortunately. Driven roe with shotgun, rifle , combination or drilling. All are allowed. Garmin GPS tracker on dogs back. Haven't heard how the new pup's doing yet. A minority breed over here as is the Basset Artesien Normand(which I quite like). The Petit Griffon Vendeens are more popular but are more hit and miss regarding coat quality and hunting ability as there are more pet than hunting lines. Most popular breeds here for driven roe are dachs, beagle or drever. In order to legally drive roe the hounds have to be short legged. The longer legged hounds are used for hare, fox, lynx. Some breeds like the beagle and drever are used for both roe/hare.

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post
    That's the only pic I could find unfortunately. Driven roe with shotgun, rifle , combination or drilling. All are allowed. Garmin GPS tracker on dogs back. Haven't heard how the new pup's doing yet. A minority breed over here as is the Basset Artesien Normand(which I quite like). The Petit Griffon Vendeens are more popular but are more hit and miss regarding coat quality and hunting ability as there are more pet than hunting lines. Most popular breeds here for driven roe are dachs, beagle or drever. In order to legally drive roe the hounds have to be short legged. The longer legged hounds are used for hare, fox, lynx. Some breeds like the beagle and drever are used for both roe/hare.
    Great pic, the chap looks well pleased. It must be nice to have the option of using different methods to hunt Roe...also must be nice to have lynx to hunt
    I wonder what is the definition of "short legged"? is there an actual measurement? or do the authorities simply trust that you will use "short legged breeds" ?

I believe that the law states dogs/breeds with a shoulder height of 37cms or less.