BASC's stringent quality control requirements for providers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul at Fechan

So, could anyone please set out and explain to me what BASC accredited providers actually do to meet whatever these 'stringent quality control requirements' are in order to be a 'BASC accredited provider'?? A BASC provider would not answer this question when it was put to them having used this status as a primary selling point for why they are 'the best'.

It seems to be a bragging point that I have seen used more than once to say BASC providers are better than other providers from different assessment centres. OK, so why, please explain? BASC is only one of several assessment centres and is not DMQ so basically all DMQ approved assessment centres are of equal standing. My centre as well as all other college based Assessment Centres are HM inspected every few years to ensure that standards of quality are maintained in their educational provision. Reports on the findings are available online about the performance for each centre. Is BASC..inspected in such a way too??

ps. do not use this thread as a BASC bash, it's purpose is just to get some answers out in the open

So, could anyone please set out and explain to me what BASC accredited providers actually do to meet whatever these 'stringent quality control requirements' are in order to be a 'BASC accredited provider'?? A BASC provider would not answer this question when it was put to them having used this status as a primary selling point for why they are 'the best'.

It seems to be a bragging point that I have seen used more than once to say BASC providers are better than other providers from different assessment centres. OK, so why, please explain? BASC is only one of several assessment centres and is not DMQ so basically all DMQ approved assessment centres are of equal standing. My centre as well as all other college based Assessment Centres are HM inspected every few years to ensure that standards of quality are maintained in their educational provision. Reports on the findings are available online about the performance for each centre. Is BASC..inspected in such a way too??

ps. do not use this thread as a BASC bash, it's purpose is just to get some answers out in the open

I have no doubt where you want this thread to go ...

why an earth do you not quietly speak to BASC direct and stop looking for some commercial advantage from knocking a competitors marketing?

see there's the problem, you think it's me knocking what you call a competitors marketing when actually it's their marketing knocking everyone else. So can they or BASC justify these marketing claims of being the best because of unknown 'stringent standards' or was that just made up to sound flash. I'm 300 miles away from the provider who made the claims in a different country so how is there competition!

ps. I did ask BASC... no response

Last edited:
see there's the problem, you think it's me knocking what you call a competitors marketing when actually it's their marketing knocking everyone else. So can they or BASC justify these marketing claims of being the best because of unknown 'stringent standards' or was that just made up to sound flash. I'm 300 miles away from the provider who made the claims in a different country so how is there competition!

ps. I did ask BASC... no response

Its not a case of anyone knocking anyone imo..

Mikes a businessman like many on here.

Ofcourse he promotes his setup to the best of his ability as many others do.

If in promoting something you overcook it then you reap what you sow in these times of trial by internet.

Some of what Mike does i think is good, i appreciate the info i get via email having registered. If i disagree ive said my piece and we usually end up pm,ing each other..

Your hunt was no diferent Paul, you sold it well yet for many it didnt deliver at the level expected...

I did enjoy doing your course questions in the mini bus Paul, and like Mike you know your stuff..

The great thing about this site is people get to see the mixed bag of responces and make an informed decision..

Peace, love n cuddles

Terry

Have you asked DMQ what they expect of there assessment centre's and in tern the training providers supplying them. DMQ set all this up and should be the ones to answer as it's their standard in question.

Paul,

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the Jelen Deer Services marketing strategies!

As you know, our company has invested an incredible amount of time effort and money in ensuring that we deliver the best possible service to our customers. We think we have succeeded in almost all of what we do, and just occasionally - like everyone else - we make mistakes. We're not afraid to admit when we make mistakes, and on those very rare occasions we make every possible effort to ensure that our customers receive a satisfactory resolution. Hence our offer of a Guarantee. Whilst the Guarantee we offer our customers gives them peace of mind that they can't lose, it is not the reason why Jelen fill up courses when everyone else around us seem to be cancelling theirs.

To elevate our position in the DSC1 training arena, we made a special effort to achieve BASC accreditation for our DSC1 training, and ironically it was the unfair criticism, wingeing, complaining and the fabricated allegations against us (to which NOBODY was prepared to put in writing!) that did us the greatest favour of all. Allegations were investigated and found to be without substance, and that was the catalyst that led us to requesting BASC accreditation.

We invited BASC Shooting Standards to visit our DSC1 training centre in Hampshire so that they could make their own minds up. For the entire duration of the course our procedures, materials, facilities, teaching methods and professional knowledge were under severe scrutiny. The report we received after the course inspection was nothing short of glowing (with a couple of useful recommendations which we implemented). This not only boosted our confidence, but also boosted BASC's confidence in us.

You keep asking about what the BASC accreditation involves. GIVE THEM A RING AND ASK THEM ...

Without doubt, our BASC accreditation boosted confidence amongst our potential customers, resulting in Jelen gaining the largest market share of DSC1 clientele throughout the independent DSC1 training provider sector.

So how did we get that market share? …. Simple! Through effective marketing, by keeping an eye on what everyone else is doing and by ensuring that we're a step or two ahead of what our competitors do.

It may interest you and every other reader to know that we (Jelen) have never actually said that we're 'THE BEST' (… even though we know we are! Lol) but because we're watching what's going on in the industry, listening to feedback from almost every other provider's candidates, and maintaining our dynamic evaluation and improvement processes on a continuous basis, we're pretty certain that few providers are coming close to matching our services. Those that are just get on and do their job very well and - like us - market their services/training on their individual merits - NOT by criticising others! … Its called professionalism!

At a show earlier this year, I was amazed, amused and somewhat flattered by a prominent member of one of the 'LARGE ORGANISATIONS' criticising us for 'AGGRESSIVE MARKETING'. Unfortunately for us our wages are not paid by a college, or by members money, so I consider our marketing strategies are essential to not only ensure that we remain in business, but also for us to stay at the top of our game. At the end of the day, the way we market our company, our training and our services is our concern.

As I have said many times before, those who see us as competition don't need to criticise us at every opportunity. They need do only one thing … DO IT BETTER THAN US!

Regards,

Mike

Mike Allison
Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services
01264 811155

Did I mention Jelen, no but you put yourself in bold as usual then go into an extended me routine :rolleyes: good for you, and genuinely all the best.

I just want to know what these 'stringent' standards are yeh but so far it sounds like a BASC guy comes round for a cuppa, make sure you actually teach a course then gives you a badge or something? Severe scrutiny indeed, thought you said you invited them round... ''NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!''

I did ask BASC what these stringent standards were but am still waiting for a reply, since you can't or won't tell me what these standards are and neither has your assessment centre there's only two possible answers.

1) you haven't a clue what the standards are, were or might be?
2) it's not stringent and the whole accredited provider thing is a big get in to bed with BASC exercise to sound flash?

tell me I'm wrong and back it up with some facts that are easy to verify. I'll apologise without reservation if standards were used that follow professional education observation formats or even come close. You know like lesson/course observation checklists to recognised classroom practice standards etc... provision for SEN, EAL, disability, differentiation etc

Have you asked DMQ what they expect of there assessment centre's and in tern the training providers supplying them. DMQ set all this up and should be the ones to answer as it's their standard in question.

all the assessment centres are approved by dmq, from there it's up to the assessment centres to manage their providers

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Jelen Deer Services in BOLD? … Hmmmmm, might be some subliminal marketing tactics!!!!! … Seriously Paul, there might be two reasons why you're not getting the answers you need:

1) That maybe you approached this issue in the wrong way. All Menacing and Strong on a public forum, rather than the professional approach!
2) That maybe you're not looking in the right places.

Not getting a reply from BASC??? … Is it conceivable that its due to it being the weekend, and the guy you need to speak to is at the CLA? … Just a thought!

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services
01264 811155

To me it seems quite simple.
To become certified to a written standard - accredited is not the correct terminology- you are audited against each clause in the standard.

A great many (but not all) standards are available to interested parties- you do have to pay for most (electronic or hard copy)- so ask BASC for a copy of their standard and then you can see what has been audited.(Some institutions also allow sight of the audit report/findings)

BASC have told JELEN they met their requirements so really all questions should be directed to BASC- No?

Well Paul these are DMQ certificates that people are training for not an individual providers. DMQ are the only people that should be certifying the standards of delivery for their courses.
Personally I think the way DMQ is set up and managed is not healthy in this respect. It should be them that you are addressing your concerns to.

this all could go away if jelen or basc just answered the question, seeing that Jelen decided to comment can they answer it ?

Or is it a secret, or am i missing something and have they answered it?

I agree and as an awarding body DMQ should bring a BASC or any other service provider to task over claims that they can approve other centres.
Well Paul these are DMQ certificates that people are training for not an individual providers. DMQ are the only people that should be certifying the standards of delivery for their courses.
Personally I think the way DMQ is set up and managed is not healthy in this respect. It should be them that you are addressing your concerns to.

Last edited:
Paul at Fechan, I cannot for the life of me understand why someone who garners a certain amount of respect on this forum would put up a 'bunfight' post. Take it from me as a potential customer of yours, it does nothing but make you look petty.

I wouldn't normally comment, but I was actually at Jelen for my DSC1 when the BASC guys were there doing their assessment. It was anything but a 'cosy up for a coffee'. There was a lot of constructive comment, disagreement and in depth conversation between the assessors and Jelen's staff. It also appeared to me that there was going to be some follow up. I booked my course with Jelen based on word of mouth, but it can only be good if a company has made the effort to adhere to whatever standards the BASC insists upon in addition to those laid down by the DMQ.

I echo what's been said above that you would be well advised to pursue the BASC (privately) for an answer. They aren't that hard to get hold of. Better still, why not go through the accreditation process yourself? Surely, it could only do good for your business.

Finally, whilst I would heartily recommend Mike and his team, please don't dismiss me as a fanboy taking up the cudgels. I am merely a reasonably experienced shooter/hunter who sought more knowledge and a shiny badge! :lol:

regards

Ian

Trouble is with getting certified in anything, its easy to "be inspected" and show all your good talents off to achieve the standard.
Trouble is this means NOTHING as soon as the person carrying out the inspection leaves.
It is easy for the person/company who has been certified to revert back to the ways of doing things that would not have achieved the certification.

In short the certification doesn't mean a great deal when the standard is not set nor routinely checked.

I think it would be interesting to see what the pass rates and failure rates for each of the modules the various test centres achieve.

Paul,

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the Jelen Deer Services marketing strategies!

I would be interested to know the answer.
As you have pointed out, it is YOUR marketing strategie, you are selling it, so what is it?
Surly that's not a hard question to answer seeing as you are selling it.

What are the 'stringent quality control requirements' that being a BASC accredited whatever ensures you have to carry out?

Know one was knocking you - know one even mentioned you. It was about the adverts you post but then the same question was in my mind as well as others. No need to get upset, you didn't even need to reply. You chose to reply a rant in retaliation whilst somehow dodging answering the questions already raised.

Last edited:
Just to confirm I did contact BASC to specifically ask what these 'stringent standards' actually were in relation to Jelen's claims.

BASC did not address these 'stringent standards' in the reply but interestingly voiced no objection to their providers bragging about them. Yeh that sounds like what then.... you tell me? :-| There lots of BASC approved providers on here, perhaps they could explain what the stringent standards are to become BASC accredited??

Rabbiter, please understand that I fully support the work of Mike and Jelen in the provision of DSC and other training as I do for all other providers doing training to the benefit of the deer community. What I can't support is in your face 'we are the best' marketing that seeks to describe one provider's course at a level above everyone else based on flash terminology and guarantees that basically just mean bugger all.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Oh FFS get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back