Thread: Berry bugs

Berry bugs

Every year my border terrier gets bothered by berry bugs, usually between her toes and on her ears, frontline spray usually cures it. But this year she is covered in them and the frontline spray isn't making a difference at all.
    Has anyone got any others remedies for berry bugs?

stacey

No, 'fraid not. Is the frontline in date? A nuisance if it's less effective,

(FOr those not in the north, Berry bugs are also called harvest mites or, occasionally little orange sods.)

Yeah I got new frontline spray a few months ago and is in date to 2017. I've always seen them on her round her face and feet in previous years but they are biting her everywhere this year. Is there any type of shampoo etc, that would help her?

stacey

I was told to use 'advocate' instead of frontline as being more effective by my old vet..... Not sure if Buchan et al will agree?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

No shampoo that I am aware of I'm afraid. Some of the new products like Bravecto might work, but I've no information as yet. One of the problems of harvest mights is the clustering on the paws, and the level of frontline from the spot on in that area was small - hence the need for the spray. Advocate - I don't know, I've never tried it and I'm not aware of it working.

OK, time on my hands so I've done a search. There isn't much published because Harvest mites are very localised and only around for August.

Vectra úD might be effective - one ingredient was used in a French study to fair effect.
    Advocate was used in some cats, unknown effect,
    Stronghold seemed to be effective at killing the mite within 2 days in cats (no reason not to work in dogs)
    Bravecto has some effect against spider mites, which are closely related

However, check with your vet first!!
    Last edited by Buchan; 23-07-2014 at 12:47.

Have you tried Camrosa Ointment? I have some and the instruction book covers havest mites.
    Www.camrosa.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jezholmes View Post
    Have you tried Camrosa Ointment? I have some and the instruction book covers havest mites.
    Www.camrosa.co.uk
    Yeah I actually tried that the other day, the terrier is now berry bug free! She did hate it though however the bites are starting to heal.
    thanks

stacey

Great news - it's not great for the carpet either, but needs must!

Quote Originally Posted by Jezholmes View Post
    Great news - it's not great for the carpet either, but needs must!
    Yeah I'm glad it's cleared up thanks, well I completely covered her in it and she sat in the kitchen all day without moving so it didn't effect the carpets but made the kitchen floor like an ice rink lol.

stacey