scope recommendations for a browning T-Bolt .17hmr

allan450

as above what peoples views on a scope for a .17hmr in the price range of 500 pound.it will be for rabbits only.their is such a market i dont know where to start.thanks Allan

nikon monarch 3 4x16x42 good glass and they were going for about 300 maybe a bit more plenty for the 17hmr,or check out artur on here he sells good european scopes s/h and hes in ireland as well.

Last edited:
You have just got a nice cheap lightweight rifle,dont spoil it by putting a kilo of heavy glass on top.
A 30 quid nikko sterling 6x40 will do 95% of bunnies you want to shoot with hmr. For longer range sniping
you soon get into an armaments race, bigger scope, bigger gun, bigger scope, better ammo, wind meters, rangefinders
trajectory apps.
A 30 quid scope, a good cleaning rod and £400 worth of practice ammo would be the best investment
although not as sexy

how about a 4.5/14x44 or 50mm zeiss conquest with the Z plex ret, fine enough for this longer more accurate shots but not to fine that you lose it when lamping. stunning glass for about 400 to 500 tops,

real value for money.

bob.

Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35mm Ballistic Plex reticle. Perfect size for the gun, and Burris has the yardage figured for the .17

Having owned both I'd go for the Monarch over the Lightstream due to the Lightstream's comparatively enormous size and slightly tricky eye relief.

Nikon Prostaff or Burris Fullfield II, If you really want to spend £500 on a scope then Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, Zeiss and Meopta should be on your shopping list, Mag is dependent on the user, Some like more, Some like less, Something around 3-9 or 4-12 x 40 or 50 will put you in the ball park.

I am interested in people s views on what scope for the HMR. I like more mag because I am headshooting bunnies at 100 yards. 2" target? So a fixed is not for me. Like all scopes buy the best you can afford. I have a 3-12x44 cheapo scope but as I use it with nv most of the time that is ok for me.

In reality it is like posting a question along the line of, what car should I buy?
There are loads of variables.
are you a daytime shooter?
do you need good low light capabilities?
are you a lamper?
do you use nv?
what distance are you planning to shoot out to?

these all,make a difference to what could be better suited to your application.

My .223 came with an Edgar Brothers Optimate 10x42 on top.

My first thoughts were to change it out.

I have a Nikon Monarch in a box that I thought would fit the bill but, so far, the EB scope has surprised me at every turn and it appears to excel.

Not ideal for everyone but ticks a lot of boxes for me, including with NV.

I am interested in people s views on what scope for the HMR. I like more mag because I am headshooting bunnies at 100 yards. 2" target? .

I am shooting charcoal briquettes offhand with a 4x scope and a .22 LR at 100 yards, pigeons and crow hunting and dropping them at 150 yards from kneeling or sitting. The spot you should be aiming for on the smallest or largest deer is the size of a rabbit's head.

First of all, most people cannot hold more than 6x steady without a good rest.

6x makes a target look like 16 yards... handgun range.

Go try a 2-7x Burris, Nikon, Vortex or Leupold before you dismiss them as too small. All of them have bullet drop reticles, which make 200 yard shots a snap.

If you want more power in a small scope, Burris makes a Timberline and a Dropline 4.5-14x32 AO with Ballistic Plex reticle.

The first image shows the yardage hash marks for a .308 class and a .270 class cartridge.
The next two images show the exact yardage for a .17 HMR, and the holdover of the hash marks at 100 yard increments for the .17 HMR.
View attachment 44867View attachment 44868burriis-bplex-17hmr-vs-yds.jpg

Last edited:
I've got to say I'm really shocked there aren't more votes for the simmons whitetail classic ?? I think they're fantastic glass for the Money

Have a look at the minox scopes, some great scopes for not a lot of money.

I sold a couple of the new HD ZA 5i 3-15x50 TAC at CLA to separate chaps putting them on 17 HMRs... £749 RRP (Show offer was £599 though) - 30mm tube, HD glass, 30 year warranty, illuminated ret, parallax, target turrets and new TAC ret (not for everyone, but simple illum Plex dot available on non-TAC version ie lose the target turrets)...

Available through the MINOX dealer channel - some of whom will be on here

The scope will be for all times of day.first light,last light and middle of the day.longest shot would be head shots at 200 yards.fields are pretty long 300+ plus so would be nice to dial in for the rare opportunity of a long shot every once in awhile.when my ability would let me.it wont be used for lamping or NV iv a 243 for that.NV in ireland is illegal for now i think.ar you need a special license.i have a z6i on my stalking rig.so i want something clarity wise near as to that as possible not to worried about high mag x10 would be well good enough.Thanks for the replys so far

I have had a number of scopes on my HMR, a high spec Leupold 8-25 x 50 if memory serves, a Meopta 6-18 x 50, originally I had a redfield 3-9 x 50 (cracking scope and cheap for what it is basically an entry level Leupold)

As it a lumping tool for me I got a bit fed up with the variable and adjustable scopes with focus etc. I decided to simplyfy things.

It's now wearing a fixed 8 x 50 Zeis (diatal? I think)

best thing I've have done recently! Point and shoot cracking clarity and nothing to worry about adjusting or focusing, nice and simple (much like its simple owner).

I bought it second hand and pretty much unused with box and paperwork and an filled warranty card and I paid about £400, can't go wrong. Plus if I ever want rid so long as I look after it I should get most of the money back.

As I say it's a lambing tool for me but I'm pleased with my choice. If your after range use or shooting at longer ranges you might want some more mag but this setup works really we'll for me.

having said that Gregor at Macloeds has got some cracking adjustable Minox scopes at half the RRP at the mo, lots of glass at very reasonable money.

The scope will be for all times of day.first light,last light and middle of the day.longest shot would be head shots at 200 yards.fields are pretty long 300+ plus so would be nice to dial in for the rare opportunity of a long shot every once in awhile.when my ability would let me.it wont be used for lamping or NV iv a 243 for that.NV in ireland is illegal for now i think.ar you need a special license.i have a z6i on my stalking rig.so i want something clarity wise near as to that as possible not to worried about high mag x10 would be well good enough.Thanks for the replys so far

based on that I would think you need a variable and if you want low light performance then the Meopta is a very good scope and will work very well in low light, plenty of my friends and myself use them, also Minox get plenty of good reviews but never used one myself so can't comment.

Be interested to hear what others have to say. I have never used a fixed scope, maybe need to borrow one some time and try it.

Back