Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: a day at the range

  1. #1

    a day at the range

    Went with a mate to have a go on his 338 lapua magnum, kinell that thing can reach out there, after finding fall of shot he got on the 1850yd etr fig11 target and started knocking it down, after warming up on my 308 it was my turn on the 338lm, I have shot one before a long time ago, I got into position for a dry fire to get a feel of the trigger,off the bipod no rear bag, lined up for the first shot and missed, its weird waiting for the shot to arrive even though its only about 4 seconds,2nd go I knocked it down, was chuffed to bits and hit it again with the 3rd shot,1850yds wow , i used loads of ammo banging over every target bar the tanks etc, watching the blokes using the 50 cals using tracers was amazing watching them fly out to 1850yds, at 1000yds it didnt look like the bullet had very little trajectory, was a great day.
    Last edited by swarovski; 20-07-2014 at 20:27.

  2. #2
    Established Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Tidal River Tamar
    Posts
    177
    Sound like you had fun! I'm guessing this was F range yesterday - If so, what was the weather like? I was going to attend but the forecast didn't look great....

    Also is 1,850yd the furthest etr on F range now and is there still a hard target ban, or can the tanks be shot at?

    Sorry for all the questions, sounds like there's been a few changes for the better since I went last.

  3. #3
    Dont know what range it was and wont dilvulge where it was but It was lashing down after thunder storms all night and bloody misty when we got there which did clear then come back for a short while then blew through, after briefing was was much lighter and was barely spotting when we went out at 9.30am ish.maybe 15 mins and it stopped and never saw another drop, was mainly overcast with hardly a breath of wind, jeez dont them 50 cal tracers ever ricochet, was great to watch.it could do with some smaller harder to hit at long range targets
    Last edited by swarovski; 20-07-2014 at 20:47.

  4. #4
    That ETR is 1800 yds.
    Yes Tiff F range. FCSA day.

    We were the ones firing the 50s the drop of the 50 at 1000yds is 245" using our match ammo and 325" with the tracer.

    The SARTS system is interesting for showing the hits ;-)

    No hard targets and the 1800 is the longest etr. Normally there are the 8,9,1k 1450 and 1800 for the 50s, with loads of closer ones too, but outside our arc.

    Mike
    Last edited by Wrens Mews; 21-07-2014 at 17:33.
    Specialist boarding for working dogs in Staffordshire.
    All breeds of dogs trained, puppies and older dogs sometimes available
    Click here------->Wren's mews, kennels and cattery.<-------Click here

  5. #5
    My mate said he ranged it at 1850yds, am still happy with 1800yds consecutive hits

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrens Mews View Post
    That ETR is 1800 yds.
    Yes Tiff F range. FCSA day.

    We were the ones firing the 50s the drop of the 50 at 1000yds is 245" using our match ammo and 325" with the tracer.

    The SARTS system is interesting for showing the hits ;-)

    No hard targets and the 1800 is the longest etr. Normally there are the 8,9,1k 1450 and 1800 for the 50s, with loads of closer ones too, but outside our arc.

    Mike

    Yep, SARTS is great for working out your drops too, as long as the LOMAH bar is correctly set up.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

    Home | Varminting UK

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    My mate said he ranged it at 1850yds, am still happy with 1800yds consecutive hits
    No worries. He was probably getting a range reading off the hillside. It has 1800 written on it and has been 1800 in the time ive been shooting there.

    Which lane were you guys on? Trying to work out who you were, there were only a couple of faces I didnt recognise. Pm if you prefer.

    Mike
    Specialist boarding for working dogs in Staffordshire.
    All breeds of dogs trained, puppies and older dogs sometimes available
    Click here------->Wren's mews, kennels and cattery.<-------Click here

  8. #8
    Established Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Tidal River Tamar
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrens Mews View Post
    That ETR is 1800 yds.
    Yes Tiff F range. FCSA day.

    No hard targets and the 1800 is the longest etr. Normally there are the 8,9,1k 1450 and 1800 for the 50s, with loads of closer ones too, but outside our arc.

    Mike
    Hi Mike, many thanks for your reply. It's a couple of years or so since I've been to Sennybridge, back then the furthest working etr was only cica. 1k.

    Are the 1,450 and 1,800 etr's sensibly located with good 'spash zones' around them? I'm only running a .300LM / .338LM, so if there is much low scrub/ground cover, I've little chance of spotting the fall of shot etc.

    Cheers,
    Tiff

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
    Hi Mike, many thanks for your reply. It's a couple of years or so since I've been to Sennybridge, back then the furthest working etr was only cica. 1k.

    Are the 1,450 and 1,800 etr's sensibly located with good 'spash zones' around them? I'm only running a .300LM / .338LM, so if there is much low scrub/ground cover, I've little chance of spotting the fall of shot etc.

    Cheers,
    Tiff
    The 1450 has a decent hard/clear area around it which shows fall of shot nicely. The 1800 doesn't it is right up there on the tops (safe backstop) but it is grass all around - a decent spotter with a good scope will usually still be able to spot the fall of shot - but the wind can be a killer there for those who do not plan - we have seen 25+MOA of windage already this year with the 50s at the 1800 - and yet last Saturday we had a 3mph gentle breeze all day with no gusts (full value right to left) - made shooting a doddle! (Not common on F range) - Depending on what the Army have been doing that week, depends on what ETRs are out there - sometimes we get a lot more further out which appeal to the bigger stuff, but there is almost always the 1000, 1450 and 1800 (Providing they are not broken!) - the range warden is really good at keeping things running, but on the odd occasion they are firing the 105s over the top he is not able to get out and sort "broken" ETRs during the day (rare)


    Mike
    Specialist boarding for working dogs in Staffordshire.
    All breeds of dogs trained, puppies and older dogs sometimes available
    Click here------->Wren's mews, kennels and cattery.<-------Click here

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrens Mews View Post
    No worries. He was probably getting a range reading off the hillside. It has 1800 written on it and has been 1800 in the time ive been shooting there.

    Which lane were you guys on? Trying to work out who you were, there were only a couple of faces I didnt recognise. Pm if you prefer.

    Mike
    hi mike
    it wouldent have been too hard to work out which lane Swaro was in he would have stuck
    out like a sore thumb probably easier to spot than those 1800 yard targets

    Regards pete

Similar Threads

  1. First day on the range
    By Hales Smut in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-01-2013, 17:50
  2. Range day results
    By trev in forum Events and Meetings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 18:17
  3. A Day On The Range
    By trev in forum Events and Meetings
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 14:23
  4. Range Day, Epperstone Range, Notts.
    By trev in forum Events and Meetings
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26-11-2010, 18:56
  5. Range day on Notts Range
    By trev in forum Events and Meetings
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 29-08-2010, 15:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •