Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double rifle muzzle lug

Double rifle muzzle lug

During one of my usual rifle trawls I saw a nice boxlock SxS but it has a lug between the barrels at the muzzle. Anyone know what it is? Not seen it before.
    Attachment 44788

I don't know, but might it be the end of a wedge used when regulating the barrels?

The thought crossed my mind but who would do that! But it's field grade not a best gun so who cares if it's just for big dangerous game
    Just never seen the wedge just left sticking out
    Last edited by Greener Jim; 20-07-2014 at 20:56.

maybe just a heel to rest on hard ground /// like the clay boys on the shoe,! what do i win
    DONT START

As Mike has said, some manufacturers, Chapuis for example, leave the wedge used to regulate the barrels, in, so if it needs to be regulated for different ammunition at some point, it's easier to do.

My Chapuis has this, and whilst I hate it, I'm also loath to have it removed

I don't think it's for regulation, is it? Sticking out like that?? I would think perhaps a lug for a bore cleaning guide or bore covers? It's not very pretty.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I don't know, but might it be the end of a wedge used when regulating the barrels?
    Just as Mike says it's the end of the wedge that is used to regulate the divergence of the barrels. It can be grasped by the gunsmith using a pliers when the barrels are heated up and either pushed in further or pulled out as necessary to make the proper adjustment. While they can be cut off to do so would be silly as it would make the gunsmiths job much more difficult if it is ever necessary to re-regulate the barrels at any time.
    It's not just Chapuis that leave it prominent, many of the better makers also do so.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

All that makes sense. As Muir said, it's not pretty, but If it was mine I'd probably be ecstatic it was there if the manufactures stopped making the factory ammunition or the bullet/powder used in a reload.
    I'm considering it but it's in .405 win so undoubtably it'd need regulating to my handload.

What rifle is it Jim?
    I hope you realise what you are getting yourself into. Double rifles and regulating loads, or developing loads to suit the regulation of the rifle can seriously damage your mental health.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

It's got no name in the listing. Belgian though. .405 win boxlock ejector.
    Also like a Rodda 500 bpe hammer gun.
    I imagine it will drive me mental but hey, what else am I gonna do for fun!