Thread: Jays in a Larsen?

Jays in a Larsen?

I've had a home made (Single Catch) Larsen Trap working for around a month now on one of my permissions. It took a good few days starting from scratch with no call bird but once I had the first one to act as a call bird things went well. It caught around 20 birds over the next couple of weeks but one day my call bird started sneezing a little and the next day it was dead. Fortunately I was thinking of moving the trap to the woodlands anyhow as I had knocked a big hole in the magpie population where it was located to the extent that the landowner said that she thought that the songbirds were starting to make more of an appearance again, so job well done.
    I moved the trap last week using some cat food and some hens eggs as bait. When checking it the other morning I could see that it had been triggered, but not by a magpie, it contained a Jay! I hadn't heard much about jays getting caught in a Larsen Trap before and thought no more of it and knocked the bird on the head. However the following day I had another Jay in the trap which was extremely noisy and was driving a few magpies bonkers, so I decided to try a little experiment and put this live jay in the call bird compartment. There was nothing yesterday evening but on checking the trap this morning lo and behold there was another jay caught in the trap.
    I don't know if it is common to catch Jays in a Larsen Trap (3 in 3 days) but for the time being I will continue to try catching them using my Jay call bird.
    Has anyone else experienced this situation using a Larsen Trap to catch Jays and (if push comes to shove) is the jay call bird likely to get any magpies interested?

Frenchie i would possibly have a check on the GL to see if Jays are actually named to be allowed to trapped in larsens, I have no idea wot the english GL sasys so ur proabably fine, never heard of it being done but i would double check it is legal first as some birds u are only allowed to shoot or trap in certain ways and ur only allowed certain birds as call birds.

I have always let them go you will get some myther if any one sees it

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Frenchie i would possibly have a check on the GL to see if Jays are actually named to be allowed to trapped in larsens, I have no idea wot the english GL sasys so ur proabably fine, never heard of it being done but i would double check it is legal first as some birds u are only allowed to shoot or trap in certain ways and ur only allowed certain birds as call birds.
    You have a fair point there and I will check but as (If my understanding is right) you are allowed to shoot jays perfectly legally then I can not see why it would be illegal to trap them as long as the general laws that apply to using a Larsen Trap are adhered to.

Ur probably right, and generally corvids are allowed to be trapped in cages etc, so i'm sure ur ok but just thought u better check incase ur admiting to something on the net ur not meant to do. Not ilegal to catch them accidentally as a by catch but dunno if ok to use 1 as a call bird, but like i said not really sure so u better check,

While it is legal to shoot pigeons it is illegal to use them in cage traps. Some strange laws/rules involved with the whole GL thing and the wording, and of course different in each country

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Ur probably right, and generally corvids are allowed to be trapped in cages etc, so i'm sure ur ok but just thought u better check incase ur admiting to something on the net ur not meant to do. Not ilegal to catch them accidentally as a by catch but dunno if ok to use 1 as a call bird, but like i said not really sure so u better check,

While it is legal to shoot pigeons it is illegal to use them in cage traps. Some strange laws/rules involved with the whole GL thing and the wording, and of course different in each country
    I have just come off the phone to Natural England as i felt that it would be best to get it "staright from the horses mouth" They directed me to the conditions as per the following link:
    http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Ima...tcm6-24151.pdf
    After I questioned them and asked them to clarify (In laymans language) it was explained that it is perfectly legal to use a Jay as a call bird in a Larsen Trap (As long as all the requirements regarding larsen traps and their use are adhered to) and that "if I so choseto" there would be nothing to stop me from catching Jays in a Larsen Trap and dispatching them using a quick and humane method.
    For dispatching magpies etc which are caught in my Larsen Trap I use a "priest" which is very quick, humane and painless - Unless you get your fingers in the way.
    Hopefully this will clarify the question of catching Jays in a Larsen Trap and the "legality" of dispatching them.

Quote Originally Posted by mark@mbb View Post
    I have always let them go you will get some myther if any one sees it
    beautiful birds but just as destructive (or more so) than magpies if maybe not as numerous
    they get no quarter from me in trap or sight

Often catch them in the squirrel traps....

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    beautiful birds but just as destructive (or more so) than magpies if maybe not as numerous
    they get no quarter from me in trap or sight
    And they don't taste too bad either

Like Nell, I get them regularly in my squirrel traps, they seem to love maize.