Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bore care & cleaning

Bore care & cleaning

Most of the barrel manufacturers and other authorities on the subject, advocate the cleaning of rifle barrels every twenty to thirty shots, give or take a few.
    I'm quite happy with my regime in this respect and have gone on record in voicing my satisfaction with Wipe Out products, in the past.
    However my rifles are stalking rifles, whilst they may on occasion, especially when developing a new load, shoot twenty or thirty rounds in a session, more often than not they will shoot one or two rounds before being put back in the cabinet, not to see the light of day for a couple of weeks, or more.
    In the past, wether they've had one shot, or ten, if they're going back in the cabinet for more than twenty four hours, I've always run a wet patch through followed by a nylon brush, a couple of wet patches and a couple of drying patches. Then a proper clean after twenty to thirty shots.
    Whilst I've no problem in giving them a good clean after a few rounds, if the rifles had a good soaking, I don't want to wear the barrel prematurely by cleaning it unnecessarily.
    What regimes does everyone else follow after just a couple of shots?
    Do you treat chrome molly differently to stainless?
    dcg

I just don't clean them unless I need to; need being foreign matter in the barrel like dust or debris. If I do it's a patch with a scant drop of oil pushed through once, followed by several dry patches. I never "deep clean" (sounds like a dermatologist) a barrel unless I'm shooting cast bullets following copper jacketed... then I remove all copper jacket fouling down to bare metal.~Muir

The stalker I did my DSC1 has 2 rifles Remington 700 .243 approx 8000 rounds through it. A tikka T3 .3006 and I think he said 4-5000 rounds. He has NEVER EVER cleaned either one. I used his .3006 for my test and it shot perfect. His friend an ex FC stalker said the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DCG View Post
    I don't want to wear the barrel prematurely by cleaning it unnecessarily.
    Given that your rifle is designed to regularly deal with a lump of copper & lead flying down it at a gazillion miles and hour, propelled by a force equal to a herd of stampeding elephants I don't think you're likely to wear it out with a damp cloth and gentle massage from a nylon brush... I'd do whatever you're happiest with and whatever gives you maximum confidence in your rifle.

Lot depends on the rifle steel. I had a tikka that would get rust in the bore on the way home, have a cz now that does the same.
    Yet a PH and a howa living in the same cabinet never showed any sign of a problem.
    Never really had to give copper or carbon fouling too much thought

Quote Originally Posted by joe soapy View Post
    Lot depends on the rifle steel. I had a tikka that would get rust in the bore on the way home, have a cz now that does the same.
    Yet a PH and a howa living in the same cabinet never showed any sign of a problem.
    Never really had to give copper or carbon fouling too much thought
    That's why I ask the question, I hear of people never cleaning their rifles, ever, I've come across two rifles, one a Tikka, and one a Steyr (both chrome Molly) that rusted if left overnight without a drop of oil in the bore.
    Last edited by DCG; 21-07-2014 at 20:30.

Regular Poster
    I have settled on carbon remover only and have been pleased with it. That way I feel I am not letting it corode but not giving it an unnecessary bashing or even loss of consistency (by removing copper fouling) every time I put it away. I've done that for a year now with a new rifle and have been happy with the consistency. Like Bandit country says, its about what works for your confidence in the rifle. For me this is a workable consistent solution for my current inconsistent availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Foss View Post
    I have settled on carbon remover only and have been pleased with it. That way I feel I am not letting it corode but not giving it an unnecessary bashing or even loss of consistency (by removing copper fouling) every time I put it away. I've done that for a year now with a new rifle and have been happy with the consistency. Like Bandit country says, its about what works for your confidence in the rifle. For me this is a workable consistent solution for my current inconsistent availability.
    When you use carbon cleaner, are you spraying it down the barrel to "wash " the crud out, or are you pushing it through with a patch / brush?
    Ive used carb cleaner in the past to wash out the crud, but felt that it wasn't leaving any protection, especially if leaving the rifle for some time.
    Last edited by DCG; 22-07-2014 at 12:10.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DCG View Post
    When you use carbon cleaner, are you spraying it down the barrel to "wash " the crud out, or are you pushing it through with a patch / brush?
    Ive used carb cleaner in the past to wash out the crud, but felt that it wasn't leaving any protection, especially if leaving the rifle for some time.
    I just followed the instructions on my particular stuff which is http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/prodde...rod=BTCC-35004. It goes something like couple of soaked patches, nylon brush, soaked patches then dry patches. It also suggests one dampened patch before putting away - I do this with a touch of oil around the muzzle crown. Then, before using it again, push through a dry patch. Writing it out makes it seem like a lot but actually I find it pretty convenient.

If I knew I was going to be leaving it for some time, I would probably put an oiled patch down rather than the carbon remover.
    Last edited by Foss; 22-07-2014 at 12:32. Reason: tried to answer the question better

As with many things on SD, its a topic of divided camps - and not the friendly wave at each other as passing merrily by kind of division

The 'problem' stems from understanding exactly what you want to achieve, experience and how you interpret that experience. So it's no wonder really that opinions are so polarised.

We sell cleaning stuff - so disregard everything we say because it's like as not pure marketing hype!

Chemicals and moisture can have an adverse affect upon barrel steel. Some of the worst chemical offenders are present in propellant residue and moisture is both present and attracted to such residues. Those are a fairly agreed upon 'given'.

How YOU choose to deal with the issue is entirely up to yourself and that's the way it should be. Its your rifle and your money at the end of the day.

The premise to which you allude in your opening post is correct - it is entirely possible to do more damage to a barrel through incorrect cleaning and in shorter time than by shooting it alone.

But if you choose some form of cleaning regime, then do some research as to what you are actually looking to achieve - most things are much easier to figure once you have a clear objective and I believe this element is the single biggest issue in the various discussions that rage about the topic.

Thereafter choose good quality products - there are many out there. Some better than others, but none I have come across are so far and away 'better' than any other as to justify one tenth of the hype that gets spouted about stuff. For me it's a real turn-off. Use it with care and it is very unlikely you will do any harm. The trick is filtering heavy marketing from brands being well known from use. We sell Dewey rods etc. Are they better than Tipton, Pro-Shot etc? Not in any way I can discern! Better than a jointed Aluminium jobby by Outers, a grit encrusted/ ripped plastic & bent Parker Hale, a snake type rope? - then the answer is yes.

Its a topic that has been covered a lot on here in the past - I'd refer you back to those posts as a starting point.

Whatever it is that you decide, good luck and do let us know how you get on.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017