Thread: "Pimp" my knife

Regular Poster

"Pimp" my knife

I was smitten by a knife and particularly its handle posted on here a while back and couldn't justify buying it (particularly with my Scottish / mend-and-make do / young father haemorrhaging cash /simple "tool" attitude towards money and kit). I've never made a knife or handle etc and my existing knife has never failed me in 6 years and I like every characteristic of it (particularly the steel, finger guard and price), however I couldn't stop oggling at that new knife.

Eventually I had to do something and so ordered a sheet of micarta, G10 and some middle thing bits that screw together and took my old knife to pieces. I have got thus far with the below using an angle grinder and a borrowed dremmel and I will probably take more material off but thought I would share my progress and gather your thoughts / criticisms. I will say: it is very comfortable, grippy and well balanced but I'm not sure I actually like it yet; I've not done the neatest of jobs on the joins; that micarta stuff is b* tough and stinks (dust mask essential); I'd rather make it a nice simple long leather sheath but thinking kydex may be more appropriate; and having done this makes me appreciate the skill and workmanship that obviously goes into those top end knives that I was oggling at and probably makes me covet one all the more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	micarta.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	582.9 KB 
ID:	44824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	micarta 1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	552.1 KB 
ID:	44825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	micarta 2.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	601.4 KB 
ID:	44826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Original.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	44827
    Last edited by Foss; 21-07-2014 at 22:10.

Very nice Foss, you made a great job of that!
    You can't beat a bit of have-a-go DIY
    Just don't leave it lying at your erse the next time you are gralloching a beast ...

Regular Poster
    Thanks rigboot. I know, but that's still part of the attraction to me - if I did I wouldn't be heart broken.

i think that looks smashing foss, it will stand out more when you polish it up ,have you used the old blade or is it a new blade as well,whichever it looks good,post more pics ,
    DONT START

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    i think that looks smashing foss, it will stand out more when you polish it up ,have you used the old blade or is it a new blade as well,whichever it looks good,post more pics ,
    Thanks AndruF- it is the blade from my existing knife which is the benchmade rant - not an expensive knife but I have found to be a good working blade. I'm not sure what to polish it up with next - any ideas?

i havnt mate but ive seen a load of threads with handle scales polished with carnuba and other oils and waxes,lets see it when you finished,atb doug,
    DONT START

I use beeswax about 4 coats rubbed in and allowed"to dry".before buffing up using cotton discs in the pretend dremmell.if its a field knife then 2 coats of yacht varnish ,shines n protects.thats a cracker there m8 atb